X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Autoboot driver at startup + driver location + script/laucher

Hello
    After some try, I managed to install the WiFi driver (Ralink RT2860). But I never managed to get it to autoboot at startup though I tried several thing I found on forums. So everytime I boot my computer, I have to go in the right directory, open Konsole and execute two lines (insmod ..., then ip ... up) and it works.
    1. Where do I store the driver folder with all the files ? Currently it is in /home, but it would be better in /opt (as I found in some forums), or usr/local ?
    2. How can I create a text file (script?) with those two lines (+ cd to right directory) that will be launched at startup ?

3. another question. To lauch skype, I have to Konsole linux32 ./skype in the right directory. I will store the skype folder in /opt (?), and how can I create a shortcut (in Lancelot or Desktop) that will go in the right directory and launch it with linux32 ? (this is roughly the same question, except that I don't want it to run at startup)

Kubuntu 8.10 64bit. freshly installed.
    Many thanks. It looks like easy questions but haven't found a solution on forums.
    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Re: Autoboot driver at startup + driver location + script/laucher

It seems to me like you are installing the programs wrong.
    The way to install programs in kubuntu is to launch adept and install from there, or type sudo apt-get program_name in the console. If you install it this way, you will get an icon of the newly installed program in the menu and will not have to bother opening the konsole.
    Here is how to install skype the way it should be done: http://technical-itch.co.uk/2007/09/...ype-on-ubuntu/ - you will only have to use adept instead of synaptic (or install synaptic).
    I guess you could find your wifi driver in the package manager as well, and again, it will configure everything for you.

Comment

Well, that's what I do usually. But some programs have to be installed manually, like Wifi driver (you cannot use Adept/Synaptic without a connection, so I'm happy to keep it manually. Same when I use LiveCD, I have to re-perform $make/install). Commercial product seems to have to be installed manually also, because other people were asking themselves the question "where to store those programs"?

As for skype, I've added the repository and installed it as shown on the link you sent. It works. Many thanks !

Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Hello
        I'm coming back on the same question : anyway to have to command line to run at system boot so the driver get mounted this way ?
        How about placing the extracted driver in /opt, do the installation ($make/install) from there so the links are created with this location, then edit a file like this one :
        Code:
        $ cd /root/opt/LinuxDriverDirectory/os/linux
        $ /sbin/insmod rt2860sta.ko
        $ /sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet 127.0.0.1 up
        and place it in a location it get run when the system start ? what kind of file and where to place it ? is that a bad idea ?
        thanks

Comment

Any module listed in /etc/modules will be loaded at boot. Just add
          rt2860sta
          to /etc/modules and it will be loaded at boot.

Comment

I tried, it doesn't work.

Comment

I think I assumed a few things. Run
              uname -r

It will tell you your kernel version. then put the module in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/
              and run
              sudo depmod -a.
              Then reboot and see if it loads.

Comment

Sorry I was away for for some time, couldn't try before.
                It works perfectly, I copied rt2860sta.ko to the said directory, run the command line, rebooted and the driver loads itself at startup.
                In case of kernel update, do I have to copy it again or will the update process manage it ?

Thank you for this quick and precise help !
                kln

Comment

As things now stand you will need to recompile the module for each new kernel that has a different version number. If your driver is on the Live CD it is also available as a package in the restricted (or maybe partner) repository. If you enable those repositories and install the driver that way it will take care of itself, hopefully.

Comment

No it's not on the LiveCD, but to download from the manufacturer website. I had to recompile it when it upgraded 2.6.27-7 to 2.6.27-11.
                    But as this is working fine now, I will focus on sth else!

Comment

Working...
                    X