X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] kubuntu 8.04 - window titlebar missing

hi all.
    I'm new to Linux, using kubuntu 8.04, kde 3.5.1 and the window titlebar does not appear every time i reboot. along with the minimize and maximize buttons so i can not move windows around the screen.
    i have found that the problem is solved when i type:
    "sudo kwin --replace"
    but i have to do every time i reboot.
    any ideas for a more temporary solution??

Re: kubuntu 8.04 - window titlebar missing

Originally posted by bumscag
    "sudo kwin --replace"
    don't run it with sudo, kwin is supposed to run as a user (just 'kwin --replace' after a fresh boot with no titlebars, otherwise you may need to kill the running kwin first)

If that doesn't help, report back.

Comment

when i run without sudo, the titlebars go away when i close the terminal window :S

Comment

when i run without sudo, the titlebars go away when i close the terminal window :S
        Either use the Alt+F2 run dialog or 'kwin --replace &' in konsole.

The '&' detaches the kwin process from the konsole window so it won't die when the parent process dies.

Comment

still no titlebars when i reboot

Comment

still no titlebars when i reboot
            Looks like kwin doesn't start with your kde session for some reason.

You can check whether ~/.xsession-errors contains any useful kwin errors:
            Code:
            grep -e "^kwin" ~/.xsession-errors
            You can also troubleshoot by creating a new user and trying if kwin starts with that user (alternatively you can rename your ~/.kde folder to something like ~/.kde_old, this will create a fresh default kde for your user in the next login...do not delete ~/.kde as it contains your emails if you use kmail, and possibly other valuable data. You can rename it back after you've tested the fresh settings).

This should tell us if it's a system wide or a user issue.

Comment

first off you should not use a terminal to run programs (try alt+f2 for krunner instead)
              because any process that is a child process (i.e called by another app)gets killed when the "parent process" (in this case konsole) is closed (when doing using sudo you can't close the program because its a root process) or as kubicle said put '&' at the end

as for your missing windows decorations are your perhaps using compiz ?
              if so you need to install emerald and then run
              Code:
              emerald --replace
              if your not . check system settings -> sessions (might be under the advanced tab) and change it to start w/ empty session apply then log out and log in . if that fixes them then you can change it back to start w/ previous session (if you would like to).
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Well, according to what Rog said on another topic, you may need to press Alt+F3 so the Window Behavior Menu appears on the left corner. Then click on Advanced > Special Application Settings.

On a new window click on the Geometry tab and choose Fullscreen option [Remember] or [Force] [X]. If it still shows you a titlebar-less window, then go back to the same tab and pick Maximized Horizontally [Force] [X] and Maximized Vertically [Force] [X].
                Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] kubuntu 8.04 - window titlebar missing

After a lot of frustration i gave it a shot to rename the .kde folder. well, that resolved the issue and i was able to start over from scratch. Thanx for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                  X