This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma update error

Today I made a bunch of KDE-related updates and all was fine, but then I noticed one "recommended" plasma update so I updated it and as soon as is it was installed a bunch of error windows popped up and my system became unstable. Now when I try to log on I get bumped out to the text screen and won't log on to KDE, any recommendations?

Re: Plasma update error

Which release are you on? Intrepid?

First try a full upgrade from CLI, to make sure everything is up-to date (your symptoms suggest a version conflict, possibly with the plasma libraries)

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    If you get any errors, post them here.

Comment

I am running Intrepid. I tried full upgrade per your suggestion, I got the following error(s?):

/usr/bin/mandb: can't write to /var/cache/man/[various directories]: No space left on device.

Errors were encountered while process ing: /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.0_5.0.67-Oubuntu6_i316.deb

E: sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Duderino
        /usr/bin/mandb: can't write to /var/cache/man/[various directories]: No space left on device.
        Ouch...you're running low on disk-space. As a temporary relief, run 'sudo apt-get clean' (this will clear the local package cache, hopefully freeing some space to work with). Once you get your system up, you need to examine what's using up your drive (filelight is a good GUI tool for it).

Comment

I assigned 5 gigabytes of HDD space for kubuntu when installed, do I need to free more space on the partition and kubuntu will automatically grow once there is free space or do I need to somehow increase the assigned HDD space for kubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by Duderino
            I assigned 5 gigabytes of HDD space for kubuntu when installed, do I need to free more space on the partition and kubuntu will automatically grow once there is free space or do I need to somehow increase the assigned HDD space for kubuntu?
            5gb is a bit low (especially if you don't have a separate partitions for /home and/or for your data), If you can spare it, I'd recommend increasing the size to at least 10gb.

The size of the initial installation will increase due to various caches, logs and indexes (and of course added software and your own documents and data) over a period time. You could probably get by with 5gb, but in that case you'd likely need to "micro-manage" your system more closely (cleaning up apt cache or disabling it altogether, uninstalling stuff you don't need, switching of nepomuk etc.)

Comment

Working...
            X