Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about wireless internet on Kubuntu.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about wireless internet on Kubuntu.

Hello, I'm new here. A few months ago I tried out Ubuntu on my computer, and I really enjoyed it. However, it wouldn't work with my laptop's wireless internet. I never was able to fix the problem, and I eventually switched back to Vista (Right now I'm using Windows 7 Beta).

However, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux in general has been on my mind lately, and I've started to develop the urge to download Kubuntu and give it a try. I am just a little unsure about the wireless problem, and was wondering what I could do to prevent that from occurring again.

Re: A question about wireless internet on Kubuntu.

Do you know what type of wireless card you have? You should be able to find out in the device manager of windows if you aren't sure. Mine is supported by default, so I have no problems, but I have used other laptops that are not supported, and I've usually been able to get them to work...

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Hmm. After taking a look in the device manager I am guessing it would be the Atheros AR5007EG Wirless Network Adapter, though I am not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing. I appreciate the help greatly.

Comment

OK, did a quick google search, and it looks like (according to this) that you can compile the newest driver and it will work. Looks like it is a recent development though. If you decide to give it a try, and don't know how to compile the driver, just post back...it is very easy to do. I would suggest downloading the attachment from the above link (last post) though before installing, that way it will be on hand when you need it, and don't have internet!

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Oh, thank you very much! I have never heard about compiling drivers, though I'm sure it won't be too bad. I am downloading the link that Wesley Velroij posted at the bottom of the link you sent me. I plan to put it on a flash drive.

Comment

perfect...looks like all you will do is untar it (like unzip) to a directory wherever you want (we'll call it /home/[you]/driver), and enter these commands in konsole:

Code:
            cd /home/[you]/driver
            to enter the directory where you untar'd them
            Code:
            make
            to compile - this may take some time, or it could go quick...
            Code:
            sudo make install
            to install. This will require your password. I would guess you will need to reboot after that...or at least restart networking. I would also suggest you do this:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install wicd
            it is an alternative network manager. If you decide to do this, you can wait to restart until it has been installed. The default network manager isn't very good...

By the way...the [you] in the path listed above is your user name...just to avoid possible confusion...

mm0

Comment

Working...
            X