This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mscaccess

This is the only microsoft application i realy need.

I am sorry to say i have not found a equivalent and i dont want to recreate my program.

Does the new kubuntu suppoort it via wine or how can i run mssaccess do you think?

Re: mscaccess

The only thing I think is close is open office base. I don't have any knowledge of access and wine. IMHO I would be runny as fast as I can from access. It really is a poor system.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson
      The only thing I think is close is open office base. I don't have any knowledge of access and wine. IMHO I would be runny as fast as I can from access. It really is a poor system.
      What he said. Run the other way. At least use MySQL and much better use PostgreSQL for a real DBMS.

Comment

If your use to MS Acess then I assume your not good on the command line. There is a nice GUI for MYSQL called DBDesigner 4 that is pretty nice
        http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/
        You can also use SQLyog - Community Edition as long as you have wine installed:
        http://www.webyog.com/en/downloads.php
        remember to disable 3d and sound and it will run fine

Comment

And, if you like an object oriented DB with nearly the power of Oracle then PostgreSQL 8.x is your choice. It comes with a console monitor and you can download pgAdmin3 for a very nice GUI admin pgm. I usually install it with pglsql as the primary SQL language because its syntax is 90+% Oracle compatible, so I could use Qt4/C++/PostgreSQL to write my database apps and then use Druid to document it and create Oracle installation SQL scripts.
          http://druid.sourceforge.net/

Druid is a jar file which is executed in the regular manner.

Everything you need on PostgreSQL is in the repository, including pgAdmin3.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If you simply have to have the MS Access database for some reason, I would suggest installing a VMware Player VM, installing Win XP on it, and then install MS Access on it and run it that way. Here's the "how-to":

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

I run a proprietary MS Visual FoxPro database this way, because there isn't any equivalent in Linux. I benchmarked it, and running it in a VM only costs about 5% in performance, as compared to a native Win XP installation. Plus, NO VIRUSES!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              And, if you like an object oriented DB with nearly the power of Oracle then PostgreSQL 8.x is your choice. It comes with a console monitor and you can download pgAdmin3 for a very nice GUI admin pgm. I usually install it with pglsql as the primary SQL language because its syntax is 90+% Oracle compatible, so I could use Qt4/C++/PostgreSQL to write my database apps and then use Druid to document it and create Oracle installation SQL scripts.

I definetly agree with sticking to the repositorys...never really seen those tools before. Thanks

Comment

If you like an object oriented DB with nearly the power of Oracle then PostgreSQL 8.x is your choice. It comes with a console monitor and you can download pgAdmin3 for a very nice GUI admin pgm. I usually install it with plpgsql as the primary SQL language because its syntax is 90+% Oracle compatible, so I could use Qt4/C++/PostgreSQL to write my database apps and then use Druid to document it and create Oracle installation SQL scripts.

I forgot to add that OpenOffice has a reasonably good database integration. You can create a stock dbf or text database or, if you have PostgreSQL ODBC drivers installed, you can link to a PostgreSQL table(s). As such, OpenOffice allows you to open a query screen that looks and works very similary to MSACCESS, where you can drag and drop fields, set limits and/or sorts, etc.. and then execute it. Once you get a table you can immediately save it as a spreadsheet, in addition to saving it as a table. Or, it can remain an executable query. Lots of power there. When you have a text document open just hit F4 to see the linked tables. Hit F1 for complete help in using the database and other features in OpenOffice.

You can create forms with active data connections (first, next, prev, last, add, delete), and with a table you can merge a data entry form with a table and add, edit or remove records. You can also create documents and merge rows of database with a document.... mail merge, form letters, etc.... Most people have NO CLUE as to the power in OpenOffice.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson
                  The only thing I think is close is open office base.
                  OObase may be closer, but Kexi shouldn't be far off.

The Kexi slogan "Microsoft Access for Linux" is IMO a tad premature , but it is often considered one of strongest parts of Koffice.

Some comparisons from Kexi project:
                  http://www.kexi-project.org/wiki/wik...mparisons.html
                  And a short article (also discusses migrating from Access to either OO or Kexi)
                  http://linux.com/feature/47878

If you really want to continue using Access, I'd go with dibl's suggestion

Comment

Thanks guys for your responses

As a PC builder (with sometimes linux ) i had a site based on asp and a msaccess dbase wich i developed.
                    I had put aloot of work into this and realy dont want to start over again

I know SQL is much stronger and better , but i can create a great solutions with vba in a very fast time.

Open office i use for excell and word documents , but its dbase is realy very very simple on GUI compared wat i could do with MSACCESS

Maybe i will start to play with the alternatives, but i dont have the time to directly switch

So i will try to use the solution of dibl wich seems good enough for now.

Thanks

Comment

can you tell me how to install that vm manager??

Comment

Originally posted by powerbits
                        but its dbase is realy very very simple on GUI compared wat i could do with MSACCESS
                        You can connect about any DB to OOo's db connections, if you have the ODBC drivers. OOo is just a funnel for commands the back end recognizes.

Comment

yes but can i use vba code to do all my stuff?

In any case it will be a learning process wich i for this moment can not afford

Comment

I am also an access developer. I have found no way to run access from within Linux, other than through a VM. If all you need to do is run access, I suggest virtual box as a VM...it is easier to install, and really works great. you can go to their site and download files for the 'buntu's I think...http://www.virtualbox.org. Install windows in the VM, then access, and away you go!

mm0
                            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

IF you have Microsoft's ADO controls then you can connect to msaccess databases with OOo.base.

And, OOo's BASIC is similar enough to Microsoft's that VB scripts in xls spreadsheets run in OOo's spreadsheets. So, yes you can migrate a lot, but not all, of your scripts to OOo. You can even use gui design tools similar to those in MSAccess. I include an example showing a connection to my PostgreSQL 8.3 db and some tables related to a Time_Keeping application that was developed at work.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X