X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torrent and graphic software

Hi everybody!

First of all I would like to make the compliments for the forum, it is great!

I just installed definetely Kubuntu on my Packard-Bell R6110, and I must say it is really impressive! Kubuntu runs great!

Since I am new to Linux can you suggest me a good software to download torrents and a good software like Photoshop that runs on Kubuntu?

Thanks for your help!
    Torrent
    0%
    Graphic software package (PhotoshopCS-like)
    0%

Re: torrent and graphic software

Launch adept and type torrent in the search box and you will find there are a few available. Ktorrent has probably been already installed. Azureus is a decent one and there is one called simply "bittorrent". Tons of choice!

On the graphics software, the main package for Linux is called gimp. Available via adept. If you don't like that, and have a photoshop disk, you could always try installing a program called Wine (via adept) and you might just get Photoshop to run.

Comment

I have been using ktorrent for a couple years, it is my favorite. I have it running 24/7, just checked and the ubuntu desktop seed on ThePirateBay has been going for 84 days with a 31+ to 1 ratio. I don't download movies, no need to these days with a HD Tivo and Netflix streaming.

I find Gimp is too complex for me but still use it a lot for basic editing of some jpgs.

Comment

nice!

thanks a lot!
        I'm using kTorrent and it works fine.
        Gimp looks a bit different from photoshop but it has all I need

Do you guys think it is possible to install streaming software such as "TVUplayer" or "SopCast" on Kubuntu 8.04, or more easily on Wine?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Biondo3RD
          Do you guys think it is possible to install streaming software such as "TVUplayer" or "SopCast" on Kubuntu 8.04, or more easily on Wine?
          Sopcast works just fine with several GUI wrappers (in linux it comes as a CLI app). You only need to place the sp-sc-auth executable somewhere in your PATH (and another one if you actually stream something) and to install either gsopcast, qsopcast or sopcast-player. The latter worked best for me. You can find it here
          I never got TVU to work in Wine, but that was some time ago and perhaps things changed. TVAnts does, however, work in Wine.
          Hope that helps...

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
            Originally posted by Biondo3RD
            Sopcast works just fine with several GUI wrappers (in linux it comes as a CLI app). You only need to place the sp-sc-auth executable somewhere in your PATH (and another one if you actually stream something) and to install either gsopcast, qsopcast or sopcast-player. The latter worked best for me. You can find it here
            This program is not listed in any of the kubuntu package managers.

How do I install this program?

Comment

It seems to me to be a windows app, so it won't be in the repo's.

Get the Windows executable off the net. I stall wine from the repos and then try to install as you would in windows.

Comment

I was able to install the debian package but there's no link in my kmenu to Sopcast, how can I run the application and maybe add a shortcut to the kmenu?

Comment

Krita is worth a look as well for a Photoshop "replacement"...

http://www.koffice.org/krita/

Comment

Working...
                  X