X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless on Dell D600

Hello.

I installed Kubuntu on my Dell latitude D600 laptop yesterday. Everything runs smooth and awesome. All drivers seem to be pre-installed already so that is nice and easy. The only thing that is not working is my wireless driver. So I had a look at the Dell website but it only gives drivers for windows. Does this mean I cannot use wireless on Kubuntu on my laptop or is there a way around? Wired internet is working just great though.
    Please note that I still am very new to linux, so an easy explanation would be nice.

Comments are greatly appreciated.
    Emass.

Re: Wireless on Dell D600

The D600 can have different wireless cards fitted. To find out which one you have open a terminal and issue the command: lspci

(That's l for lemon and not 1 before 2)

This will list the pci modules. There should be one that says Network Controller. What does it say?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hello.

I did as you asked and the output of "Network controller" is "Boardcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)".

Comment

I used to have one of those...

The instructions can look long, complicated and difficult - but they are not really and don't be put off!!!

Just work through the instructions methodically and you will get there.

Many of the commands need to be inputted into a Terminal. YOU DON'T NEED TO TYPE THEM IN. This causes unnecessary mistakes. Highlight the command in the instructions. RIGHT click. Choose Copy. Put the cursor in the terminal. RIGHT click. Choose Paste.

The instructions are at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=broadcom

If you have any problems at all please come back here.
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks. I'm half way through, but now I'm stuck at 16.
          I have to enter a line, but when I do I get "sudo: gedit: command not found".

I had to download a driver at the beginning of the guide, but they never told me to install it. Should I have installed that at the beginning of the guide?

Comment

Since this is Kubuntu and does not use Gnome, the editor should be kate in place of gedit. Make that substitution and continue.

Comment

I'm half way through, but now I'm stuck at 16.
              Good grief you're flying through.

A couple of additional things. My Broadcom was on a PCMCIA card and I found Problem 1 and Problem 2 helpful. Of course they might not apply to you in this case...

Comment

The first steps were easy, just pasting lines into the terminal. As far as I know everything went well.
                However, not I'm losing track. The tutorial is written for ubuntu (I think), so what is step 18 in kubuntu?
                And about step 19,20 and 21, I do see an icon in my panel with eth0 and wlan0. But when I try to add a new connection I don't see anything. Maybe I'm going too fast now though.

Comment

Did you see the line that said:
                  If you are running Gutsy or any version higher than Gutsy you can skip to step 26.
                  ?

Comment

Yes I saw it, but what is Gutsy? I assumed it was an other distribution and since I have Kubuntu I assumed I had to follow the steps. So I can skip to 26 which means I'm finished and I still don't see any connections.

Comment

what is Gutsy
                      It's a previous issue of *buntu. G for Gutsy, H for Hardy, I for Interpid.

I am now feeling my way. As I said I used to have a Broadcom. It was installed under Hardy. I now have Intrepid.

If you have done Step#17, I would look at Step#23. Change it to
                      sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
                      What does the output say? Is there any reference to wlan0? If not then try Problem 1. Change that command to
                      sudo kate /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                        What does the output say?
                        It opens the Kate editor with the following text in it, whatever it means:
                        auto lo
                        iface lo inet loopback
                        When I follow Problem 1 and enter that line I get:
                        # This file maintains persistent names for network interfaces.
                        # See udev(7) for syntax.
                        #
                        # Entries are automatically added by the 75-persistent-net-generator.rules
                        # file; however you are also free to add your own entries.

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x165d (tg3)
                        SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:0f:1f:a3:57:39", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x4320 (b43-pci-bridge)
                        SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:90:96:af:c1:b6", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"
                        So the NAME is already set to wlan0.

Comment

Have you got a Systems Tray and have you looked at KNetworkManager?

Comment

Alternative (simpler?) approach here: http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/sho....php?p=4793983

Comment

Have you got a Systems Tray and have you looked at KNetworkManager?
                              If I take the cable out I see a gray globe with eth0 and wlan0 disconnected

Alternative (simpler?) approach here: http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/sho....php?p=4793983
                              Thanks. That looks a little easier. I will try. Thanks for your help so far. This wireless really is a pain in the butt eh.
                              I do hope I get it to work because I like kubuntu on my laptop a lot more then xp. Wish me luck. :P

Edit: just followed the steps, I'm not sure if it worked, but how do I get here in kubuntu?
                              "system -> administration -> hardware drivers"
                              So I can check if it is really "in use".

Comment

Working...
                              X