This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Freezes on Loading

ok, my main Desktop died... physically...
    So i am usng my Laptop... lol
    so my brother got me a broken 1999 Sony Vaio PCV-J200.
    I upgraded some of the parts in side
    AMD Duron 900mhz
    256MB PC-100 RAM
    41.2GB IDE Ultra
    Nvidia GeForce 6200A 256MB PCI
    20" Compaq CRT
    So i formatted the HDD and i installed Kubuntu but every time i use it it goes to the part were the blue thing flies across the bar...
    but it stopps after 4 times bar scrolling thing...

what can i do?
    it boots normally from the Live CD

Re: Kubuntu Freezes on Loading

As below on the post "Help me"
    Have a look at "Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers " on http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0 Question #1
    If you are trying to install from the LiveCD don't. The LiveCD is very heavy on RAM and you only have 256MB. Use the Alternate Install Disk instead. It only uses 64MB of RAM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
      As below on the post "Help me"
      Have a look at "Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers " on http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0 Question #1
      If you are trying to install from the LiveCD don't. The LiveCD is very heavy on RAM and you only have 256MB. Use the Alternate Install Disk instead. It only uses 64MB of RAM.
      Its the CD i requested frfom Kubntu.. it has Kubuntu written on it... and its blue. lol what am i supposed to use?

Comment

Well i have bad news
        it finally loaded but i keep on getting

Comment

From "Shipit Questions " at http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/shipit-faq
          All CDs currently contain the currently released version of Ubuntu. For every CD you order, we will send you one package that contains a single CD (live CD installer) in a cardboard wallet. This is true for all architectures.
          From "Wikipedia " "Kubuntu" "System Requirements" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu...m_requirements

(Desktop - LiveCD)
          The recommended system requirements for the desktop installation are a 700 MHz x86 processor, 384 MB of RAM, 8 GB of hard drive space,[27] and a video card which supports VGA at 1024×768 resolution
          (Alternate)
          The minimum system requirements for a desktop installation are a 300 MHz x86 processor, 64 MB of RAM, 4 GB of hard drive space,[27] and a video card which supports VGA at 640x480 resolution
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

it installs fine. but it is booting into Kubuntu, it should run with 256mb. when i botted from the live CD it ran fine but when i boot it from the hard drive it is not

Comment

You are right, it should run. The error you are seeing is crc error, or cyclic redundancy check. This means that somewhere a stream of binary data is being changed when it should not be, as in bad RAM or bad disk. It could also be that your system is misconfigured in some way, maybe overclocked?

Comment

well. i just replaced the ram.. i have a PC100 collection for some reason. and I dont have another hard drive that is useful besides the 41GB thats in there. it was a faulty disk, but then it just started working perfectly. it is a computer my brother found on the street lol. it had Windows ME, but it ran that fine.

Comment

Working...
                X