This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ReOrder Start Menu Favorites

I'm using Kubuntu 8.10, fully updated. I can't seem to figure out how to re-order the applications I put in my favotires - right click or drag and drop doesn't work for me.

Is there a file I need to edit someplace to change the order?

Thanks

Re: ReOrder Start Menu Favorites

Right-click on the K Menu icon and select Menu Editor.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I do that I do not see Favorites in the Menu Editor.

Comment

You can only sort them alphabetically from A to Z or vice versa by right clicking on the Favorites menu.
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Sorry to ask again, but I still can't figure it out...

1. If I right click the K Icon > Menu Editor, then I can't see any place here to sort the favorites menu.

2. Nothing happens for me if I click the K Icon, and attempt to right click the Yellow Star (Favorites). If I try to right click any of the items the only option I have is "Remove from Favorites".

Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by NvrBst
            Sorry to ask again, but I still can't figure it out...

1. If I right click the K Icon > Menu Editor, then I can't see any place here to sort the favorites menu.

2. Nothing happens for me if I click the K Icon, and attempt to right click the Yellow Star (Favorites). If I try to right click any of the items the only option I have is "Remove from Favorites".

Am I missing something?
            One you open the Menu Editor you can:

Add or remove directory as you wish.

Drag and drop menu entries where you wish.

Add new items (menu entries) where you wish.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

When I open KDE Menu Editor it has the following options:

Development >
              Education >
              Games >
              Graphics >
              Internet >
              Multimedia >
              Office >
              Science & Math >
              Settings >
              System >
              Utilites >
              Lost & Found >
              Adept Installer
              Help

This does kind of match up with my "Applications" in the K Icon, but not exactly; the ones missing arn't empty in KDE Menu Editor. Even the items inside each subitem don't match up exactly. My K Icon > Applications Items are:
              Graphics >
              Internet >
              Multimedia >
              Office >
              Settings >
              System >
              Utilities >
              Adept Installer
              Help

But yes, for any of these options in KDE Menu Editor I'm able to drag and drop to change their location in KDE menu Editor.

Which Option/Subitem would "Favoirtes" be found under? I can't find anything in the "File/Edit/Settings/Help" or in any expand tabs...

EDIT: Am I the only one with this problem, or have you attempted to sort/re-order your Favorites and succeeded?

Comment

What I was trying to tell you was that first you hover the mouse over the Favorites tab with the yellow star then move the mouse and right click on any of your favorite apps. It'll display 3 options: Remove from Favorites, Sort Alphabetically (A to Z) and Sort Alphabetically (Z to A).
                Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I have to think that they will add move up and move down to those choices, eventually. Meanwhile I did find a way to do this but it is almost laughable. This is configured in ~/.kde/share/config/kickoffrc but if you edit that file while kde is running it will get overwritten. Since my systems for some reason (Jaunty) restart the computer when I select to end the session, I used Crl-Alt-F1, logged in, ran sudo invoke-rc.d kdm stop, edited the kickoffrc file, and restarted KDM. They were in the order I put them in.

Does anyone else have this problem of getting a reboot when you end the session? If I have an ssh or VT session open I get a dialog box asking if I want to end those sessions, and when I tell it to cancel I get a true session end and am back at the login screen.

Comment

When I open KDE Menu Editor it has the following options:

EDIT: Am I the only one with this problem, or have you attempted to sort/re-order your Favorites and succeeded?
                    If no items are in a submenu that submenu does not display when the K Menu is expanded.

The KDE Menu Editor does not have a sort utility, but the desktop view does.

I add and remove submenus to suit my fancy and put the items (links to apps) where I want them, sorted the way I want them, irrespective of their names, etc...
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Unless you have a different system than mine you do not do that with the Favorites menu, because it is not in the menu editor.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                        Unless you have a different system than mine you do not do that with the Favorites menu, because it is not in the menu editor.
                        You're right, the "Favorites" menu is a virtual menu, which does not appear in the Menu structure while you are editing it. Adding a "Favorites" submenu will give you two of them, but to the best of my knowledge your added one won't behave the way the virtual one does. And, you can't sort what you can't see in the edit mode.

Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                          It'll display 3 options: Remove from Favorites, Sort Alphabetically (A to Z) and Sort Alphabetically (Z to A).
                          In my system I only have "Remove from Favorites". I'm using KDE 4.1.4. Kubuntu 8.10 (kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso), on a Virtual Machine, fully updated if it helps any...

I am able to sort as GreyGeek does; AKA Remove all my Favorites and add them in the order I want them in. It is a little tedious though Maybe a future enhancment could be Favorites Managment *hints*.

Thanks

EDIT: Unless you are using a newer version... I do see the Kubuntu homepage says latest update KDE 4.2, maybe it's better in there

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                            It'll display 3 options: Remove from Favorites, Sort Alphabetically (A to Z) and Sort Alphabetically (Z to A).
                            In my system I only have "Remove from Favorites". I'm using KDE 4.1.4. Kubuntu 8.10 (kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso), on a Virtual Machine, fully updated if it helps any...

I am able to sort as GreyGeek does; AKA Remove all my Favorites and add them in the order I want them in. It is a little tedious though Maybe a future enhancment could be Favorites Managment *hints*.

Thanks

EDIT: Unless you are using a newer version... I do see the Kubuntu homepage says latest update KDE 4.2, maybe it's better in there
                            I always run the Classic Menu and never paid much attention to the "favorites". In other distros in which I selected the Classic Menu they always allowed a settable number of applications to be listed at the top of the menu structure as "Favorites", sorted entirely by how often you used them.

A little while ago I switched back to the default menu mode "Kickoff Application Launcher", and noticed that I could browse the menu structure and right click on icons and select "Add to Favorites". In the Favorites section of Kickoff I could sort by alpha OR drag and drop my favorites in any order I want them. I am going to use Kickoff for a while and see how it behaves.

Comment

This time when I made changes to the Favorites by dragging and dropping they were retained after loging out. Just goes to show htat the developers are working.

Comment

Working...
                              X