Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Font, but only in some applications ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Font, but only in some applications ...

Alright, I'm running kubuntu 8.10 from a pendrive to test it on my system. I'm saving my settings each time I fix an error so that I know what to expect when I actually install. Not sure if the casper-rw will copy over once I do install or not so I'm just getting prepared. For anyone curious to try this method; http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and follow the tutorial there.

My system is a semi modern office pc, P4 3.2 w/ HT; 80 Gig HD; 2 gigs of ram; Sapphire/ATi X1600PRO; Vizio VW26L TV/Monitor; Dell Mobo with Intel 945G northbridge, don't recall southbridge at the moment, but most of you get the idea and really the comes down to the monitor and video card more then anything for these problems.

Ultra Small Font Everywhere:
    Everything had tiny fonts that made it impossible to read anything.
    Fixed:
    Turned all fonts up to 22 and no more trouble, interface icons scaled fine without adjustments.

Screen Flickering:
    Had a random flicker happen across my screen. Position was random, spanned the length of the screen with a black line generally about 1/8th the total size of the screen. Appeared for less then a second and was gone, just long enough to annoy me.
    Fixed:
    Actually fixed this one while typing this; turned off my Desktop Effects ( System Settings -> Desktop -> Desktop Effects). Then turned off RANDR ( System Settings-> Advanced -> Service Manager -> In the box labeled Startup Services).

Small Fonts in Critical Places:
    When activating Adept or doing anything within the log-in/log-out interface the font is reduced back to size 8 making these areas nearly impossible to navigate.
    Tried:
    Obviously from the above I've already been through the System Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts to turn all my fonts up, and I've adjusted the fonts in the GTK Styles And Fonts in the same Appearance tab, but neither seem to have any effect on those areas. Does anyone have a general fix, command line or otherwise to adjust these areas because literally this is all that is keeping me from making the switch.

Re: Small Font, but only in some applications ...

It's not clear whether you have set the font DPI within system settings/appearance/fonts. If you haven't already done so, try 96DPI.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
      It's not clear whether you have set the font DPI within system settings/appearance/fonts. If you haven't already done so, try 96DPI.
      that was my first though also...force the DPI to 96...
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I had not, I had set the Font Size but I didn't notice the DPI settings when I went through. I adjusted it, then had to turn my font size back down to 8 because things were finally in perspective. I'm finishing a few fine tunings tonight sense I'm finally off work, and will be Windows free tomorrow after coffee. Thank you both for the reply.

Comment

Working...
        X