Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I need to reinstall Nvidia drivers after Kernel upgrade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I need to reinstall Nvidia drivers after Kernel upgrade?

Hello.
    Why do I need to reinstall my Nvidia drivers everytime I update my kubuntu packages (being kernel version one of them)?
    For example, last night I updated my kubuntu packages (using adept) and it upgraded my kernel version (from 2.6.27.13 to 2.6.27.14). After rebooting computer, kde doesn't start. It drops me to the terminal, from where I login and reboot through command line. At the command line it shows an error saying something about "no device specified" (I don't remember the exact error, sorry). Then I have to choose "ubuntu 2.6.27.14 RECOVERY MODE" in Grub, and then at the command screen I choose "try to fix xserver". Then I resume booting and Kde starts, but no nvidia drivers loaded (this means, no desktop effects, etc).
    Yes, I know I have to specify a "device" at the xorg.conf file, but I tried to edit it manually (copying and pasting an old .conf file) and for some reason it didn't work. So I have to reinstall my nvidia drivers (I'm using 180.22 right now). Fortunatelly I always keep the driver file in my desktop. After reinstalling everything is working normally.
    My point is, is there anyway to prevent adept (or whatever I'm using to update) from messing with my nvidia configuration or my xorg.conf file? but of course, keeping my computer up-to-date?
    I forgot to mention, I'm using kubuntu 8.10 and KDE 4.2.1. I have a nvidia 7300gt.
    My music!

Re: Why do I need to reinstall Nvidia drivers after Kernel upgrade?

This should get you started toward your answer:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Module-HOWTO/x73.html

Comment

Working...
    X