This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Kubuntu works on Window XP 32 bit?

The title says it all, my current OS is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (32-bit). Thanks if you reply.

Re: Will Kubuntu works on Window XP 32 bit?

Unfortunately, you gave us the name of your current Operating System instead of your hardware specs.

But since XP works on that machine, there should be no reason why Kubuntu wouldn't, also you may experience some driver problems depending on hardware you have.

My suggestion to you is to try the Live CD version of Kubuntu. Just boot the OS from the CD, without installing it and see how it works. Of course it'll take some time longer to boot, but that's just because it'll boot from CD. Than you can see how this OS looks, feels, how much of your hardware it recognizes without any drivers needed, and then decide weather to install or not. It's easy to install, you'll have Install icon on desktop.

P.S. I forgot, since you are Windows user, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep Windows and just add Kubuntu on other partition, make dual boot, so you can switch between them on boot, just in case something goes wrong.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs windows and gates?

Comment

Kubuntu is not an application, its an entire OS.
      There is a difference between a program and OS

Comment

i would suggest trying the live disk to check and make sure your h/w is properly reconized.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Neo,
          Go for it. I spent 6 months reading about Linux and finally "took the plunge" - I really prefer Linux now and have had no problems (but did need to learn a few basic things just to use it properly - and did make some mistakes too).

There's lots of help here too.

1) Be sure you have a backup of everything important and can recover your system if you need to.
          2) partition your hard drive to make room for Linux (use the partition tool on the live CD)
          3) Install Linux in the new partition
          4) Have fun.

I use Ubuntu on my laptop and Kubuntu on my desktop. Its the same basic Linux operating system but Ubuntu is maybe a little more simplified in that it presents you with fewer options (in the graphical menus) but they are usually the things the average home/office user needs - underneath the hood its pure silicon super-hyper-hydro-higher-than-the-sky everything you ever dreamed of in a computer. Basically, you'll love it. If I didn't use MS Visio on my Windows partition I'd probably dump it yesterday.

EDIT: and I should add -- do fire up a live CD first and check it out "safely" - the live CD will run the Linux operating system on your computer with "no strings attached". You can check out the basic offerings, see what programs you'll get by default, check your networking capabilities, video cards, etc. and even start using Linux right away. In answer to your question, both my computers use the 32 bit systems and no problems at all for me.
          Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Working...
          X