This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I download my Nvidia drivers?

Greetings, First off, I finally got the internet up and running. So I thank you all. But it seems to me that I ran into another dilemma. I cant download my hardware drivers. It is currently on support for Atheros. it recommends Nvidia accelerated graphics driver(version 177), but it won't activate. Driver. I mean, everytime I press activate, it wont activate and ends up freezing. Is there any way for me to download my driver so it can work? Where which website should I download it from? Thanks.

Re: How do I download my Nvidia drivers?

You should always get your packages from your favorite package manager. Open that up, search for & install nvidia-glx-177. That is the same package that the hardware manager gets.
    If you still want to install it by getting it from a website, go to http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...s-drivers-177/ and download the .debs from there. I think you need the ..-kernel source and ..glx-177 packages. I seem to remember that there is a third, but I could be wrong. Just beware that when you do not use a package manager, there is a very high probability that you will either miss a dependency or get the wrong package. If you miss a dependency, you will be told about it and the package will probably not install. But if you install the wrong package, you can really screw up your installation, especially with video drivers. If things go wrong, you will not be able to see your screen. You might want to only use a package manager until you feel comfortable editing configuration files from a recovery screen, because that is what you will need to do to fix a display problem.
    I do not know what version of KDE you are using so I am going to guess you are using Intrepid (8.10). The Adept package manager does not do what I want in that in that version, so I use Synaptic instead. In Jaunty (9.04) Kpackage seems like it will be ready to use.
    &quot;The second most satisfying thing in life is to totally understand a complicated <br />concept.&nbsp; If you are very lucky you may attain *the* most satisfying thing in <br />life and actually grok it.&quot;

Comment

Just to clarify things, when you wanted me to download the debs, was it all 4 of them with the kernel source?

Comment

Follow #7 in the link in my signature.

Comment

Working...
        X