This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu to a USB flash drive

I recently bought a 16 GB flash drive with the idea of installing Kubuntu to it instead of the hard drive. I was thinking that this might be a cool as it would be ultra portable for work, travel, experimenting w/o screwing up my laptop, etc. However, the install disk only wants to give me the options of running from the CD or installing to the hard drive. I did a couple of searches thinking that surely someone else has done this, but didn't come up with it as a topic. Has anybody done it successfully? If so, how? Or is this simply not a practical idea?

Re: Installing Kubuntu to a USB flash drive

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-kub...using-windows/
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

us-creator (for 8.10)
      See only Reply #1 here:

Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...089474.new#new
      with persistence
      TABLE of CONTENTS
      includes:
      -- Using iso files to get Kubuntu and GRUB (without burning a live CD)
      -- Working in GUI or CLI
      -- Cloning your finished flash drive
      =>=>=> Reply #1: usb-creator program (8.04 & 8.10)
      Reply #3: History – Sequence of past how-to's
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Duh! Never thought of disconnecting the hard drive. Will give it a try tonight. I was interested in the bit about reduced longevity to the flash drive because of multiple writes/rewrites. If I can get a year or two of moderate use I will be happy; the cost of flash drives is now so low that the convenience should be worth it. Thanks!

Comment

kback: "Duh! Never thought of disconnecting the hard drive."

-- not sure what you mean by that ... I missed something there ... ?

As for wear-out, I really, really, SO FAR, believe that is theory only. Why are we not hearing about actual cases of wear-out? I have heard and read a few things quite to the contrary -- that it is a possibility, but in practice would take a whole lot to make it happen. I have written about that somewhere in my how-to's here, pro's and con's, etc. I see lots of people reporting they have used their live flash drives heavily for 2-3 years, no problems. I do believe it can happen, of course, but there's other things to be more worried about than wear-out.

Clone it.
          Check my live flash drive how-to for how-to clone your flash drive. You can clone your "finished" flash drive as sort of a back up. In fact, you can clone it at any and all times. Best, easiest, no-brainer way is to clone it to an identical flash drive (at least get one identical in size, like 4 GB to 4 GB).

I think you should be safe using the usb-creator program, without operational issues.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Don't forget, even hard disks have a finite number of rewrite cycles, yet, there is no panic about that. People have just got worked up over a theoretical possibility that has little bearing on practical issues.

Comment

Working...
            X