This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java etc

Hi I recently got my distribution of Kubuntu in the post, and i have installed it on my xp windows operating system, as one of the options it gives.

I have tried using commands in the terminal like javac and java to compile and run programs, but it instead asks me to install the required packages and follows by giving a command and the names of packages, once I have given the command to install a package , it says it can't find it. Is this because I haven't actually created a partition for Kubuntu and therfore it has not installed everything completely, or because I may need to download a JDK for Kubuntu??

If I am not making sense, please just guide me along, i am new to this! ;-)

dominic

Re: Java etc

It is not because of the partition. Kubuntu should work just as well form the virtual partition. Haven't you just misspelled the commands? Anyway, typing commands is a little harder than clicking in a gui. So launch the Adept manager (K->Applications->System->Adept manager(or something like that)) And install jdk form it. It's a lot easier.

Comment

If installing JDK wasn't enough for you to solve this issue, then install OpenJDK, especially if you get some weird Java / Kaffe error messages...
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

for further info, if you choose manual installation you will have add following to your ~/.bashrc file which is in your home folder.

Code:
        JAVA_HOME=/home/Kasun/Programs/jdk1.6.0_06
        JDK_HOME=/home/Kasun/Programs/jdk1.6.0_06
        PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

export JAVA_HOME
        export JDK_HOME
        export PATH
        replace /home/Kasun/Programs with your installation path.(note: no spaces after or before '=' sign.)

To edit the file, enter:
        Code:
        sudo vim ~/.bashrc
        insert above code(after pressing 'I') and exit it by pressing Esc then ':wq' (without coughts).

Then try javac or java command. it should work.

hth
        --------<br />Kasun Gajasinghe,<br />University of Moratuwa,<br />Sri Lanka.<br /><br />Blog: http://kasunbg.blogspot.com<br />Twitter: http://twitter.com/kasunbg

Comment

Working...
        X