Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help, I think I screwed up my laptop..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help, I think I screwed up my laptop..

Today is the first time that I am using Kubuntu 8.10 on my hp pavilion laptop, which previously had windows vista on it. I am experiencing many errors! But first and foremost, I can't connect to the internet. I am using a wireless router, but no connection will appear. (yes I set a security key). But I don't know were to input the info. I can't even find my ip adress. I really need help. Thanks.

Re: Please help, I think I screwed up my laptop..

Comment

What type of wireless card does the laptop have?
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

As far as he wireless card, I honestly have no idea. All I know, is I have an hp pavilion in the dv600 series.

Comment

in a konsole window, type"
          Code:
          lspci
          and look for what looks like the wireless card and report back...
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

If you can, run a short length of cat5 ethernet cable from an ethernet port on the back of the wireless router to the laptop. It will connect to the internet immediately.

Reboot. Then you can begin working on your problems WITH an Internet connection.

Based on your "many errors" it looks to me like you may have a bad ISO burn on your CD. Make sure the md5 sum on your download matches the one on the download site for that ISO, then burn a new CD at 8X or slower.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Umm..well now, I am using a usb cord from my modem, and I am plugging it directly to my laptop. Something pops up saying eth1. I clicked on it, and it wants me to set up a new connection. I could set it up manually, but I can't find the ip. Anyways, so I just went ahead, clicked next, made up a connection name, and marked auto connect. But it still doesn't work.

Comment

...Following a chain...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=750777 - This says that the wireless in the HP Pavilion DV600 is an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connect

The same post leads to "Intel Wireless PRO 4965 Installation with NDISWrapper" at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=471794
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

if it is an 4965, it should work out of the box. I have the same card in my dell. have you tried to set up a connection with the network manager?

Comment

no. How do u do that?

Comment

assuming you are on 8.10, right click on the network manager in the system tray (defaults to lower right corner). Not sure the wording, but it's something like 'set up new connection'. If your router doesn't show up, just type the ssid name in the field, set it to connect automatically, dhcp, etc, and save and connect.

If you are running the alpha 5 or 6 version of 9.04, then you will need to add the networking plasmoid to your desktop or panel, and configure from there.

mm0

Comment

Ok. I tried to right click the network manager, but it crashed on me. It said that the Application plasma workspace crashed and caused the signal 11(SIGSEGV) What does that mean?

Comment

restart and try again...let me know.

Comment

Ok. Just to clarify things, I am using Kubuntu 8.10. I have done everything you said, and tried to set up a new connection but it still doesnt work. The etho1 thing appears. But for some reason, it's not connecting & I also put it on auto connect as well. Quick question though.. When I am setting up a new connection, am I suppose to manually set it up by putting in the ip adress, netmask, gateway, etc? If so, then how will I find all of this info. I am still new to this, so it would really help if you'd explain this really simple to me.

Comment

even i am facing a similar problem, almost exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X