X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking with company server - Can't connect

Help....I am new to Kubuntu as of 2 days ago

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3102206.0

Did a clean wipe and installed Kubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Using VMWare Player to run my old vista programs.

Only problem is that I cannot connect to the network or the internet thru Kubuntu, but i CAN through VMWare player

Someone mentioned that I needed Samba....I have no idea how to get it or install it. Any suggestions will be appreciated....wondering if I need to try Ubuntu instead.....don't want this thing to whip me :P

Re: Networking with company server - Can't connect

I don't thin VMware can access the physical network without the host system having establishe a connection. Would you post the output of ifconfig?

Comment

Hopefully this is what you're looking for:

inet6 addr: fe80::21f:e2ff:fe9b:1835/64 Scope:Link
      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
      Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:21:9b:cf:70:51
      inet addr:192.168.1.33 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
      inet6 addr: fe80::221:9bff:fecf:7051/64 Scope:Link
      RX packets:3036 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:2207 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      RX bytes:2571923 (2.4 MB) TX bytes:340043 (332.0 KB)
      Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

vmnet1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:c0:00:01
      inet addr:172.16.96.1 Bcast:172.16.96.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
      inet6 addr: fe80::250:56ff:fec0:1/64 Scope:Link
      TX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

vmnet8 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:c0:00:08
      inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
      inet6 addr: fe80::250:56ff:fec0:8/64 Scope:Link
      TX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

Comment

Hi (again)

I'm very interested by the config file you have posted. It looks like the VM has taken over the internetconnection to the exclusion of Ubuntu.

What connection is there between the VM and the host. Is it Nat or bridged? I suspect it may be bridged as referred to here

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1156371,00.asp

To quote "Bridged networking is the default (unless you opt for no networking), and it allows your VM to talk to the outside world via your host machine's network card. VMnet0 connects your virtual network card to the physical network card. While the VM shares the host's Ethernet connection, it appears as an entirely separate machine on the local Ethernet with its own MAC and TCP/IP address."

What that tells me is that you have successfully connected the VM to your ethernet card and because you "converted" your original Windows installation all the settings were retained, which enabled you to connect via the VM.

So, this leaves getting 'buntu onto the network and internet at work. Would I be right in assuming that your Mediacom cable internet operates on a Fixed IP address? Irrespective, you should try to set up a new connection from within 'buntu but this time using DHCP. Probably best to shut down the VM first. Set up a new connection by right clicking the knetwork manager icon to do this. Assuming your Network is Windows you will definitely need Samba if you want 'buntu to get on it. It is the environment needed for your Linux box to talk to the windows network and share files. As a bare minimum you need the samba package and the configuration gui. Both are in the repositories and are available from within adept.

Question.. As you appear to have full network capability through the VM do you need to access it via 'buntu or is it just something you would like to achieve?

Ian

Comment

That is. It indicates that your first ethernet interface, eth0, is up, configured with ip address 192.168.1.33 and that it is not having any problems transmitting or receiving.

You say you can't connect to the network or internet. What exactly does not work and what message do you get?

Comment

I would also question:
            vmnet8 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:c0:00:08
            inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
            I'm thinking that the vmnet8 ip address (192.168.1.1) might conflict with the routers address, which could also be 192.168.1.1. Can you change the vmnet8 ip address to 192.168.1.'something else'?

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

if this helps...

when i remote desktop-ed from vista i used 192.168.1.2 to reach the server.

i can't browse any network shares and also the browser will not connect to any webpages.

I will try all the above suggestions. as soon as work lets me 8)

Comment

There are some things you need to try. Run
                route

It should show something like
                Kernel IP routing table
                Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
                192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
                default 192.168.0.100 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Then try
                ping -c 3 192.168.0.100
                but use whatever is listed as the gateway in your default route.
                Then try
                ping -c 3 yahoo.com
                to see if you can resolve yahoo.com. If that fails try
                ping -c 3 206.190.60.37
                which is the ip address for yahoo.com (one of them anyway).

This will give you information to work with. Or if you report it here, it will give us information to work with.

Comment

man this crap is complicated.

from what i can gather i need samba or cifs?

but i cant get it cause i cant connect in Kubuntu. or do i install from a flash drive. man i'm stuck.

heres the route:

billw@billw:~$ route
                  Kernel IP routing table
                  Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
                  172.16.96.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 vmnet1
                  192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 vmnet8
                  192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
                  link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth1
                  billw@billw:~$

Comment

I don't know that much about Linux networking, but I don't see a default gateway in there...if I am correct, that would definitely be an issue...

mm0
                    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

If I get it right...

CIFS is I believe the "protocol" used by a Windows Network. Samba is the application that enables your Linux (Or Mac or Sun machine I think) to talk to the Windows server.

Samba is already available to you, in the repositories via adept, the package manager. It might actually already be installed and just be lacking a GUI. Open adept and type samba in the search box. Does it show up as installed? If not you need to download and install it - there is a GUI for it as well to aid configuration, although I concede I have seen more user friendly things, and I would not claim to be a samba expert.

I am right in assuming that you can still get on the net at home?

Ian

Comment

that is correct, just not at work.

at home i can get on kubuntu, at work i can get on VMWare player.

Comment

Then I would install samba and it's config gui over the weekend.

A few points to play around with:

Is your home connection a fixed IP address?
                          If so, whilst at work if you turn off the VM, right click on the knetwork manager and set up a new connection on Eth0 (with router assigned IP address) can you get on the net with 'buntu? Forget about the network for now.

What is the type of connection between the Windows VM and the Linux host? is it Bridged, which enables the VM to have a different IP address than the host, or NAT, which will simply allow the guest to "piggy back" the host?

I suspect that it's Bridged. The VM is via kubuntu, telling the ethernet adapter to point in one direction,, whereas Kubuntu is also connected to the adapter but configured to point elsewhere. Am I correct in assuming the VM won't get on the net at home? If so it is most likely for the same reason. Try establishing a NAT connection with one of the VM network adapters and I would not be surprised if the VM could then get on the net when you are at home.

Might seem to be a tortuous process but I think it's important at this stage to understand how the host and guest are working together, so that you are simply left with configuring kubuntu to get on your network.

Ian

Comment

OK. Major update.

On a whim I just completely started over and reinstalled. However this time with Ubuntu.

Connected to the network and internet almost immediately.

So at this point, I'm not sure if I originally had messed something up, or my system just doesn't like Kubuntu.

But I think I may try again at some point to reinstall Kubuntu from another download....maybe it was corrupted in some way.

Comment

Great you had a result!

Are you using the KDE or gnome desktops?

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X