This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

toshiba laptop screen flashes? solved

hi people, im hoping somebody can tell me if this is the norm or there is a way to fix this, i have a toshiba equium a100-338 lappy (intel 945gm integrated graphics) with kubuntu 8.10, when i open menu windows, firefox Etc. the window is all distorted and blurry for a second and when i close menus they are sometimes still in the background all blurry or digitally distorted, have a sniff around google but no joy as yet, any help would be great, many thanks.

Re: toshiba laptop screen flashes?

Hello

Sound like the problem I had and it went away when I upgraded my graphics drivers (though I have a ATI card).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...ivers%2FNVIDIA

"Go to KMenu->System->Hardware Drivers Manager and check the box to enable the restricted drivers for your NVIDIA card if the option is provided. "

ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

it an integrated intel chip mate, so using nvidia wouldnt have any affect unfortunately, cheers anyway.

Comment

I have an intel 915 so I feel your pain

I suspect you have desktop effects enabled, if so turn them off (system settings/desktop/desktop effects as I believe that (at least with the current xorg iteration) these are beyond the capabilities of the card. If I turn Desktop effects on, I get precisely the issue you talk about, if I turn them off, it goes away.

That the problem?

Ian

Comment

@The Liquidator, its helped a bit, still goes digitally scrambled when opening up firefox and some menus but not as bad now, cheers mate.

Comment

One other point, what version of KDE are you running - 4.1 or 4.2?

Comment

KDE 4.1

Comment

You could see if things are better with kde 4.2 - I am currently running 4.2 1 which is very good. You can get info on it here:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2

Comment

cheers, wil give it a look tommorow when i get home from work, cheers again.

Comment

Originally posted by cairnzi
                    it an integrated intel chip mate, so using nvidia wouldnt have any affect unfortunately, cheers anyway.
                    oops that wee lil' info slipped my stressed mind I saw the problem and assumed 'my solution' :-X Hope KDE 4.2 solve your problem though
                    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

@jonas and liqidator, problem solved with 4.2, cheers very much

Comment

That's great news

So as to help others would you be good enough to edit your first post to show "solved" in the title?

Thanks

ian

Comment

Working...
                        X