This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired of these kernel panics...

I was using multiple apps and I saturated my RAM and maybe even my swap space and my PC restarted abruptly. This isn't the first time this ever happens, this actually happens once a day (at least). These are some of the error messages I get when the PC boots after these series of unexpected restarts...

Code:
    Starting up...

[some numbers] crc error
    [some numbers] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
    Code:
    several lines of text...
    [some numbers] RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
    [some numbers] crc error
    [some numbers] VFS: Cannot open root device "UUID=c4cc5e9c-5fed-41ca-a34e-2784db
    dc4c9b" or unknown-block(0,0)
    [some numbers] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
    [some numbers] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
    The weirdest thing of all of these error messages is that if I shutdown the PC and turn off the power supply and come back a few minutes later, the PC restarts as nothing had happened at all... Well, sometimes it checks the partition and sometimes it finds a small percentage of non-contiguous blocks, but this is not the case always. I've also seen that it boots normally or it ends up showing me the recovery mode window with DOS-like graphics. Most of the time it only boots normally after some rest...
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Tired of these kernel panics...

Looks to me like your RAM is failing, possibly because it is overheating. That is why it works when you let it cool off and then fails when it heats up.

Are your fans working? Do you have enough of them?

Comment

Working...
    X