X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Newbie user to linux here.... :P

Have played around a few times with live disc of Ubuntu. Considering full move to either Kubuntu or Ubuntu.

Currently running a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop, 2 GB ram, 1.86 ghz processor.

I'm already using Thunderbird w/Lightning plugin, Firefox, and Open Office. Using google sync to sync my calendar and contacts with my Blackberry.

I guess where I'm confused is the what are the major differences between the two? I do a lot of word processing, email, and internet. Wondering which would be better for someone like me using a laptop for those things.

Any and all advice or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

Bill

Re: Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

ubuntu and kubuntu are the same operating system.

the difference is the desktop environment (the way the user interacts with the system and the set of available applications).
    ubuntu uses the gnome desktop environment.
    kubuntu uses the kde desktop environment (kde actually stands for k desktop environment).
    technically, kde applications are based on the qt graphics libraries while gnome is based on the gtk graphic libraries.

for someone fleeing from windoze i'd recommend ubuntu.
    more geared towards and more ready for street joe.

besides, kde is undergoing a major technological update and the current kubuntu version is still a bit too much a beta.
    good for us.
    probably less so for you.

kde applications and environment are in general more appealing than gnome's, though.
    so, check back from time to time.

m2cts
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Sup there, I'm pretty new too but after reading and trying out, i found this:

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are different in the desktop environment, i mean as soon as you log into kubuntu you will see a more 3D world. whereas Ubuntu is more plain.

its just taste, to me. Also you can have both, lol, install whichever and then from SYNAPTIC you can install the other desktop. So after installing it at login, do this:

Code:
      OPTIONS > Session Type, or something like that
      From there you will see a list and here is what you can choose:
      Gnome = Ubuntu
      KDE = Kubuntu
      and whenever you switch it will prompt you to choose it as your default.

and I couldn't have said it any better than Jankushka

Comment

My general advice, to make the transition as smooth as possible:

* If you come from Windows, go Kubuntu.
        * If you come from Mac, go Ubuntu.

If you go Kubuntu, go for the previous version (8.04 Hardy Heron), as the latest version includes KDE4, which is still a bit too experimental for the casual user or someone who needs to rely on his computer. They jumped the gun a bit and included KDE4 a bit too early. KDE4 will be great, but it still has a lot of rough edges, holes and missing bits, so for the time being, KDE3 and Kubuntu 8.04 is preferable.

Comment

I second what Troberg says, and would like to add that with Hardy Heron, you will be using the KDE 3.5 desktop, which has been developed until it is polished, is 100% stable, and also can look very similar to XP if you so wish.

Added to all that, it is probably the easiest desktop environment with which to transition from another Operating System.

p.s.
          Welcome to Kubuntu. 8)

Comment

Ok, thanks to all for the replies. I think I may try to dual-boot with Kubuntu for a while and do some playing around before I make the complete jump.

I'm sure I'll be back for advice! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Troberg
              My general advice, to make the transition as smooth as possible:

* If you come from Windows, go Kubuntu.
              * If you come from Mac, go Ubuntu.

If you go Kubuntu, go for the previous version (8.04 Hardy Heron), as the latest version includes KDE4, which is still a bit too experimental for the casual user or someone who needs to rely on his computer. They jumped the gun a bit and included KDE4 a bit too early. KDE4 will be great, but it still has a lot of rough edges, holes and missing bits, so for the time being, KDE3 and Kubuntu 8.04 is preferable.
              I agree that if one has just immigrated from Windows the desktop to use is KDE.

However, I disagree with the advice to start with KDE3.5.10. The problem a LOT of long time KDE3 users have is that KDE4 is SO DIFFERENT in how it is administered that they have a hard time breaking old habits. Their frustrations center on complaining about KDE4.

I decided to jump in and learn KDE4 when the KDE 4.1 version was released by Mandriva. Now, several months later, the KDE4 ways are second nature to me. I don't profess to be a KDE4 expert but I really LOVE the power of Dolphin, of how the USB and other ports are treated in a way that makes them almost totally transparent, the widgets, the SPEED, and, YES, the stability.

That said, someone who is new to Linux does NOT have to unlearn old habits. It would make very little difference to their learning curve if they began learning KDE3 or KDE4. However, if they learn KDE3 they will just have to repeat the learning curve AGAIN, this time fighting "I did it this way in KDE3, why won't it work this way in KDE4?" and getting as frustrated as many old time KDE3 users get.

Now it is true that some distros released versions of KDE4 that were not ready for prime time, but they clearly announced it as such. Mandriva, for example, is such a distro. It was on Mandriva's KDE 4.1.0 that I learned how to administer and run KDE4. However, they are now up to KDE4.1.3 and I can report from experience that it is VERY STABLE, since I have been using Mandriva's KDE4.x on this Sony since last August. In fact, KDE4.1.2 was very stable, too.

I heard about how fast KDE4.2 was compared to 4.1 and decided to give the first distro that announced a release featuring KDE4.2 on a LiveCD or LiveDVD a spin. That distro turned out to be Kubuntu 9.04. I WAS NOT disappointed. One problem I have had with this Sony laptop is that it uses the Intel Mobile 4 Series video chip (G45) and the Linux Intel driver for it wouldn't let me configure accelerated graphics, so I was forced to use VESA. Last month a fix was announced on the bugzilla for the problem (the desktop screen is white to light grey but you can hear the KDE melody announcing the desktop is ready to use). When I ran the Kubuntu 9.04 LiveDVD and got an immediate desktop, I popped open a konsole and ran glxgears. It gave me 850 fps. Stellarium loaded in a couple seconds and ran lightening fast. JOY!

So, my advice is to install Kubuntu 9.04 and apply ALL the updates to it to bring it up to KDE 4.2.1, which is the latest release. I am running Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2.1 on two laptops (a seven year old Compaq Presario 1500 and a 4 year old Gateway m675prr) and plan to install it on this laptop (a 7 month old Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H) within a few days. The Compaq is 7 years old and only has 1GB of RAM, but KDE4.2.1 runs on it very smoothly with the exception that CNN videos have slight voice sync problems. The biggest crasher is not KDE4, but FireFox3. When I close it the GUI goes away but the main thread stays active for a while, until it pops up a crash message and kills itself. The Gateway is having no problems at all with KDE4.2.1 because it has 4 GB of RAM on a 3.0 GHz CPU.

So, maybe it's time to stop the stealth bashing of KDE4 by saying "I'll switch to it when [insert your favorite excuse]". If a 68 year old geezer like me can run Kubuntu/KDE4.2.1 on a 7 year old laptop without problems what's keeping you from doing it?

Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2.1 is not only ready for prime time, IMO it is the best desktop in existence. The nice thing is that is that it will keep on getting better and better. 8)
              Besides, KDE3 will be going away sooner or later, and with economic times forcing austere manpower and budgeting decisions, it may go away sooner than you think.
              GG

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The problem a LOT of long time KDE3 users have is that KDE4 is SO DIFFERENT in how it is administered that they have a hard time breaking old habits. Their frustrations center on complaining about KDE4.
                Please, drop that argument, it's BS. I've used just about every window manager for most major OS.

What I dislike with KDE4 is that it's unstable and lacks features. From a usability viewpoint, I like it, a lot, but it's simply not ready for production use yet. Also, it still has too many problems for a newbie.

It will be great, but I'll give it another release or two before I make the switch, because it's not there yet. For a newbie or someone who relies on his computer to work reliably, I'd give the same advice.

Comment

Yeah, KDE4.1 is still immature enough to give Kubuntu a bad rep, especially for a newcomer.
                  I might change my mind when 4.2 is released with Kubuntu 9.04 in April.

As for the "Ubuntu for Mac users" argument, I've found that KDE 3.x is better. You can have the menus at the top. I'm not sure how well that works with Gnome. Plus KDE has the Bagihra theme set.
                  The answers are out there...

Comment

GOODBYE WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok everyone, thanks for replying. Test drive complete!

Spent tonight checking all programs for work etc..... moved all my Firefox bookmarks over, installed Thunderbird complete with Lightning calendar with google sync. All work without a hitch.

So, tomorrow, I will wipe my drive of Win-doze, and be 100% Kubuntu!

I'm really excited! Ok, I know thats dumb, but....

OH YEAH.... suggestions...should I install an antivirus/spyware program or firewall. Are those necessary?

Comment

There is a Firewall already included with every *Nix OS (called the "iptables"). You'll probably want to enable it, so you might want to install one of these,...

iQfirewall - KDE4/Kubuntu

Firestarter - Gnome/Ubuntu (Runs in the System Tray)

Guarddog - KDE3

As for an Anti-Virus. If your going to be exchanging, or fowarding mail between Windows users, then you will probably want an Anti-Virus. Otherwise it is not necessary.

Avast makes a good solid antivirus for Linux. There is also F-Prot.
                      The answers are out there...

Comment

Welcome to the Linux world! Isn't it a wonderful feeling with so much new stuff to discover?

Comment

Yeah it is.....kinda got that giddy old feeling I had when I first got a computer. :P

Nice to have it back again.

Comment

Well of course leave it to LEXMARK to screw something up. >

I have a lexmark x2470 printer and can't find any drivers for it. CRAP.

Guess I'll have to get another printer. Any suggestions on one that plays well with Kubuntu?

Comment

Yes, searching around on the internet shows this to be a paperweight so far as Linux is concerned. Lexmark don't seem too committed to Linux.

Where you go now depends on what you want to do. You could get a new printer (in which case check at www.openprinting.org to check before you by- unless it says Linux friendly on the box).

Assuming you currently dual-boot you could set up a FAT 32 partition on which you could save your data to print them off within Windows. I would suggest doing that just to print would be a PITA, although you can put your T'bird mailboxes on there so that whatever OS you are in you are accessing the same ones. This makes the dual-booting experience more positive, although there is the possibility that you find yourself using Windows mainly to print.

In view of your "goodbye windows" comment you might also consider setting up your existing windows installation as a virtual machine (which you can run in VM player) or if you have a windows disk you can set up a new virtual machine with virtualbox. All the software to do this is available free, if only as in beer. This option will prove useful if you have that killer app that will only run in Windows, or you need access to a website that makes heavy use of active x etc. This will be a serious option if you have decided that you want to use Linux as your base OS.

Sorry to ramble, but hope this is food for thought. If you want to go down one of the avenues I have outlined then help is definitely here, as I have found.

Comment

Working...
                              X