X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom.......a way to boot into installed HH on second drive

Hi Folks,
    A couple of weeks ago, my motherboard died on me. It was really wierd never saw anything like it, it cracked. My primary hard drive was affected too, the bios will recognise the drive but I can't read the drive even on another system.
    So I had WinXp installed on the primary, and I installed my Kubuntu HH on the secondary hard drive.
    So here's my question. I have a new desktop running vista ( hey it's not too bad..so far ), is there a way I can boot into the Kubuntu drive without doing a reinstall of Kubuntu. I backed up all my data so I'm not too worried if I have to do a reinstall. I just thought that since the Kubuntu drive did not get affected, I was hoping to just install my Kubuntu drive into the new machine as the second drive and have a way to get the new machine to dual boot again. Is there such a thing.
    Thanks

Re: Boom..........help?

What you need to do is reinstall grub, the boot loader. Probably the easiest way to do this is to use the live CD to boot to the second hard disk (your old kubuntu installation) and run grub-install. It is likely that your old version of /boot/grub/menu.lst will work or at least be a good template for what you need. The command you need will be something like

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

but you need to do some research to be sure.

Comment

Re: Boom.......a way to boot into installed HH on second drive

What I did try was that I used the HH live cd and started up HH like that, and I was hoping that on the main screen would show me something, but all I was able to do was see everything on the HH drive.

Comment

Re: Boom.......a way to boot into installed HH on second drive

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
        SECTION 3: Re-installing GRUB: the cure for many problems.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X