• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Update or Install Anything

Hey, I'm new to Linux and I'm having a problem with Adept Installer

I hit Upgrade recently and I got the following error:

APT Error. Context:
    Running dpkg,
    [ /usr/bin/dpkg, --status-fd, 3, --unpack, /var/cache/apt/archives/kdm_40x0.0000001f4c4b8p-10224.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid3.1_amd64.deb, /var/cache/apt/archives/tzdata_2009b-0ubuntu0.8.10_all.deb ],
    Sup-process returned error code 1,
    Error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdm_4%3a4.1.4-0ubuntu1~intrepid3.1_amd64.deb : subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1.

I hit OK and i get this:

APT Error. Context:
    Running dpkg,
    [ /usr/bin/dpkg, --status-fd, 3, --configure, -a ],
    Sup-process returned error code 1,
    Error processing tzdata : subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1.

I get this or something similar when I try to install anything or Remove somehting
    From what i can see... it has something to do with TZDATA or KDM

Any help is appreciated

Re: Can't Update or Install Anything

These problems with prerm and postinst scripts failing often go away with newer versions, and they may occur if your update only partially succeeds. You should get a terminal window, like konsole, and run

sudo dpkg --configure -a

This tells it to configure any unpacked packages it finds. It may end up with the same error messages, but try it again until it does not seem to be making any progress. Then do

sudo apt-get update

to update your installers idea of which packages are available, followed by

sudo apt-get -f full-upgrade

This will install all the latest version of everything on your system and is quite likely to fix this problem.

Comment

Working...
    X