Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know what version of Kubuntu I am running?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I know what version of Kubuntu I am running?

I'm having a hard time getting everything to work as smoothly as I think it should. I'm considering reverting to a stable version but don't know where to find that kind of information.

I have this vague understanding that a stable version is issued every 18 months. Beyond that I don't know how to find information on the version I have.

Bottom Line

How do I find out what version I am running?

&

Where do I find information on stable versions of Kubuntu?

I would be grateful for any constructive responses.

Thank You,
    Tad

Re: How do I know what version of Kubuntu I am running?

(K)Ubuntu is released every six months >Releases
    Ubuntu releases are supported for 18 months. Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) releases are supported for 3 years on the desktop, and 5 years on the server.

Schedule
    Ubuntu releases every six months, one month after each Gnome release
    Note !
    Kubuntu 8.04 is not LTS version

Version info > FAQ: Version info

and more > Kubuntu wiki
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Kmenu>System>Terminal
      Type the following

cat /etc/issue

This will give you your current version.
      I have a mind like a steel trap. Stuff gets in there and WHAM! it never gets back out again.

Comment

Great! Thanks for the information. I do again have faith.

Later,
        Tad

Comment

I did the cat /etc/issue thing and it tells me I'm running ubuntu 8.10 instead of kubuntu 8.10. Also, how do I know what KDE version I'm running. When I downloaded kubunty I was under impression that it included KDE 4.2. But when I boot, splash screen says KDE 4.1. So just wondreing if I am missing anything by perhaps not having 4.2 instead of 4.1.

Comment

By default Kubuntu 8.10 would have KDE 4.1 installed on your system, you'd need to upgrade it if you wanna get the KDE 4.2.1 running on your machine.

On Konsole type this...

Code:
            kde-config --version
            or
            Code:
            kde4-config --version
            The former is for KDE 3 and the latter for KDE 4.

The output should be something like this...

Code:
            Qt: 3.3.8b
            KDE: 3.5.10
            kde-config: 1.0
            or
            Code:
            Qt: 4.4.3
            KDE: 4.2.1 (KDE 4.2.1)
            kde4-config: 1.0
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Thanks for the response. If I upgrade to 4.2 and don't like it, can I downgrade back to 4.1 just as easily? BTW - how does one upgrade to KDE 4.2. I didn't see anything in the Adept installer to upgrade KDE.

Comment

Enable the backports (by checking the Recommended and Unsupported updates?) and if it doesn't work add the PPA.
                Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by ga_acad
                  Thanks for the response. If I upgrade to 4.2 and don't like it, can I downgrade back to 4.1 just as easily? BTW - how does one upgrade to KDE 4.2. I didn't see anything in the Adept installer to upgrade KDE.
                  No, if you want to downgrade, you've got to remove the whole kde, then change the sources.list by hand to remove backports, then reinstall kde.

If in doubt, simply wait till 9.04, don't do it on your production system.

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                    Enable the backports (by checking the Recommended and Unsupported updates?) and if it doesn't work add the PPA.
                    backports??! PPA??! Aaaaeeeeeee...... I'm not worthy to be even on the noob forum.

Comment

Backports are updates which are from a version of Kubuntu higher, made to work with a version lower. They are marked in Kubuntu as Unsupported updates in Software Sources.

A PPA is a personal package archive. Many people have a PPA, also Kubuntu. You can upload packages you made to it. One can add the PPA to his Software Sources by copying and pasting the line of the PPA for his version of Kubuntu (Intrepid, Jaunty etc.)
                      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Working...
                      X