This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widgets in 4.2

I found a ton of great looking widgets/plasmoids at http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xc...794fcd1d8332e2 . The Add Widgets box, has an option to install from the web, but the website it is pointing to has only a dozen widgets to choose from whereas the website I attached has page after page. Is there a way to make the widget installer look there? If not is there an easy way to install widgets manually. The second option is a last resort, as I can't imagine there isn't a way to automatically install widgets from the web site of your choosing.

Re: Widgets in 4.2

I am looking to make the "add widgets" tool, which automatically installs widgets for you point to the appropriate web page. Can anyone help with this. It currently points to a page that has few widgets. The url in my original posts has page after page of widgets. I can't understand why the included tool for adding widgets does not point to where the bulk of the widgets are, but it doesn't. Is there a config file that I can alter?

Comment

because the creators of each plasmoid widget do not necessarily create installable packages they usually release the source code only. The Add New Widgets is also in a very young stage, especially as the plasma subsystem has still seen some changes between kde versions that make them incompatible with each other
      btw, the tool is getting what little it does it does from kde-look.org
      it is unfortunate that binary versions are not available from there in many numbers

but rog131 above does maintain a ppa repository with tons of widgets
      https://edge.launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
        because the creators of each plasmoid widget do not necessarily create installable packages they usually release the source code only. The Add New Widgets is also in a very young stage, especially as the plasma subsystem has still seen some changes between kde versions that make them incompatible with each other
        btw, the tool is getting what little it does it does from kde-look.org
        it is unfortunate that binary versions are not available from there in many numbers

but rog131 above does maintain a ppa repository with tons of widgets
        https://edge.launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa
        Are these installable as is, or must they be compiled? This is important, because I had nothing but failure (I just doen't understand cmake) when attempting to compile a widget, which is what led me to the hope that the "add widgets" tool would offer more than it does.

Comment

I installed the repo, but the files marked "Jaunty" won't install. I had read on another thread by Sam Rog that they worked with Intrepid. I added the Intrepid repo and the weather widget I wanted was not listed. Installed another weather widget, but have no clue where it is, so I can't direct the "add widget" tool to it.

Is there a trick to getting the Jaunty widgets to work in Intrepid?

Comment

Working...
          X