This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accesing an existing wireless network with Kubuntu

I'm a new person on Linux. I just installed Kubuntu 3 days ago. Well, I seem to have a problem connecting to my existing wireless network. My wireless card for my laptop is Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN. Do I need to install a separate driver for Linux? I went to the equivilant of My network connections (sorry I forgot the name :P) and typed in the name of the network and the pass word, etc. and clicked on connect and save. However, when I went to Konqurer and tried to go to Google, it didn't work. Please help.

Re: accesing an existing wireless network with Kubuntu

Getting your Broadcom wireless to work is a bit of a challange, but if you will do a forum search on Broadcom wireless, you will find it is not a road untraveled. You are going to need to install:

b43-fwcutter
    ndiswrapper

and I suggest:

ndisgtk

These are all available in the repositories.

Comment

go to http://ubuntu.cafuego.net for the stuff you need, add the broadcom repo's to your repo list and then reload and afterwards install bcm43xx-firmware and b43xx-fwcutter.
      The firmware cutter is needed to extract the firmware which is also availible from the aforementioned site so no probs there, you will like detonate said; need the ndiswrapper and the gui which is ndisgtk and also available in the ubuntu repo, the ndisgtk is needed to load your broadcom driver which is somewhere on your drivers disk (winxp??!!) and ends in: inf, save the inf file to your drive and when you open the ndisgtk just point it in the right direction.

You should have a connection after that!!!!!.

Regards Stephen

Comment

A footnote to my last message.

If you don't have synaptic package manager installed I would install it if I were you as it makes it a lot easier to handle single files (packages) than adept would.

You can install synaptic using the adept package installer!.

The ndisgtk will show up in your applications list (kmenu) (known as start under windows!) as "windows wireless drivers" which is in the system section of your apps list.

If you don't know how to add a repository (repo) to your system; once you have installed synaptic take a close look at the settings tab which will allow you to add the repo's I mentioned in my other post to you. Cut and paste the stuff you need from cafuego seperately and complete as they are in 2 seperate new repo's and when asked to accept the license key; do so without reversation and then reload and look for the new packages you added via search and install them.

After installing the broadcom firmware I would advise you to restart your pc and then install the windows driver that you have copied from your winxp drivers disk.

Okay, got all that.

Good luck.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by stephen46710
          A footnote to my last message.

If you don't have synaptic package manager installed I would install it if I were you as it makes it a lot easier to handle single files (packages) than adept would.

You can install synaptic using the adept package installer!.
          In the past I would have agreed with you, but Adept has come a long way, and it gets the job done. I find it to be more user friendly.
          The answers are out there...

Comment

Hi Monster user,

I just tried to call up my broadcom stuff in adept but its a no-show, yes it finds the ndiswrapper no prob but our friend needs to be able to get the broadcom firmware and extractor installed but he couldn't do that with adept or am I missing something??.

Regards Stephen

Comment

Thanks guys, but what is a repository? Sorry, but I'm completely new to computers and all that. By the way, is it ok if I install those drivers on windows? This is because I have Kubuntu and Windows XP on my laptop.

Comment

A Repository is basically a website where Adept (KDE's "Add/Remove" Program), or Synaptic can download software for Kubuntu.

Click on the "K" button, go to "Applications", and select "Add/Remove". Then when the Add/Remove application opens up, click on the "Sources" globe at the top left.

Then click "Edit Software Sources". When the window comes up, click on the tab for "Third Party Software". That will list any Repositories you've added to Kubuntu.

Click "Add", and copy the information on the previously posted link.
                http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/

Assuming your running Kubuntu 8.10, it would be the following.
                Code:
                deb [url]http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/[/url] intrepid-cafuego all
                -----------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what your asking about installing drivers on Windows. You can download the drivers, and then transfer them from Windows, to Linux.

Originally posted by stephen46710
                Hi Monster user,

I just tried to call up my broadcom stuff in adept but its a no-show,...
                or am I missing something??.
                Edit: I forgot...

There are two versions of Adept. The lite version "Add/Remove", and the Full version "K -> Applications -> System -> Adept Manager".

The full version can bring up single packages as well.

Comment

Hi Monster user,

me again, I didn't even consider using adept manager but how right you are, sorry to be a pain.

Regards Stephen

Comment

Not a pain at all. I needed the reminder that "Add/Remove", and "Adept Manager" were two different things.

Comment

Lots of good stuff for you here: http://kubuntuguide.org/Intrepid

Scroll down a bit and you will find the info explaining repositories and of course lots more.

Tally ho!.

Stephen

Comment

Working...
                      X