Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 hard drives. One drive Win XP Pro. Other drive Kubuntu 8.10 dual boot help

Ok,
    have 2 hard drives one with Win XP. Other Kubuntu 8.10. (latest version) Right now I have Kubuntu as my master on the IDE cable. And is on Cable select. Both are. So as you can see I have no choice weather to open Win or Kubuntu. Just need the step by step and how I can fix it so I can choose with OS I want to open. Kubuntu or Win XP.

Thanks in advance,

Redd

Re: 2 hard drives. One drive Win XP Pro. Other drive Kubuntu 8.10 dual boot help

and, so, the problem is ...

(what do you do? / what happens when you do it?)

-- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    GRUB ERRORS: See Reply #23

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: 2 hard drives. One drive Win XP Pro. Other drive Kubuntu 8.10 dual boot help

Originally posted by redd
      Ok,
      have 2 hard drives one with Win XP. Other Kubuntu 8.10. (latest version) Right now I have Kubuntu as my master on the IDE cable. And is on Cable select. Both are. So as you can see I have no choice weather to open Win or Kubuntu. Just need the step by step and how I can fix it so I can choose with OS I want to open. Kubuntu or Win XP.

Thanks in advance,

Redd
      Not to disagree, but the first thing I would look at is what the BIOS sees as the first bootable device. Once you determine that, install Grub so that it puts its bootstrap code on the MBR of that first bootable device, then as long as Grub is told that there is a Windows installation and where that installation is, you will have a choice of booting to Windows or to Kubuntu.

If you need to make it more complicated than that, then you need to first figure out why it needs to be more complicated !
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

cable select is not a good choice for your hard drives, 1 drive should be set to master and 1 to slave assuming they are on the same IDE cable.
        Working from your motherboard up: IDE connector to mb, slave and then at the other end of the IDE cable; master.
        If you use cable select it has been my experience that it throws the drives into disarray.

Hope this helps.

Regards Stephen

Comment

Working...
        X