This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Issues in Open GL

When ever I open anything in open GL (a game, screensaver, ect.) broken lines appear on the screen. That's the best that I can describe it. They get jumpy and move and are colorful. It basically distorts the whole screen so I have to escape out of it. I have the proprietary drivers installed. I have even ran the Envy script to install updated drivers, but that doesn't help at all. I am running Kubuntu version 8.10 on an HP Pavilion dv5-1113us laptop with an ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics card. I have searched around many places, but couldn't find a solution to my problem. Any help would be great, thanks!

Re: Video Issues in Open GL

Hello and welcome to Kubuntu forums

It could be a conflict with Desktop effects? Try to disable those when running openGL apps.

K-menu > System Settings > desktop [when you run those apps]

If that don't work, what version of KDE are you running ?
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I have tried it with the desktop effects on and off and there is no change. Also, I am running KDE version 4.1.

Comment

Have you got the appropriate driver installed? ATI are sensitive so you may need the fglrx driver and any associated packages.
        Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

I checked tuxmobile for your model and couldn't find it. Other HP dv1nnn seem to be older models (2005 to 2007). No problem, mine (HP nc6400) is an early 2006 model. Some possibilities:

1. Disable the proprietary driver. Kmenu > System > Hardware Drivers. I don't know why, but I found that the default driver with Ibex works better than the ATI driver.

2. Another possibility is you may need to run
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg
          and change frame buffer from 'no' to 'yes'. That seems to work generally for ATI cards. This backs up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (adds the date and time) and writes a new xorg.conf file. If this messes things up rename the old xorg.conf.datetime to xorg.conf and everything should work again.

3. I have an idea from earlier versions of Kubuntu that Kubuntu doesn't see the memory on the video card. Mine has 512 MB, but Hardy and earlier version reported 128MB plus 64MB plus 64 MB - it could be that ATI use up older small blocks of memory and then sell the card as 512 MB (it was good in 2006). I don't have a solution for this yet.

HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
          X