This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding other partition to Kubuntu partition

Im asking this on behalf of my friend. Thanks in advance for any help at all.

He has Kubuntu 8.10 installed on a 25GB partition on his laptop! He loves it! But now Vista wont work on the other partition but seeming he prefers Kubuntu he dosnt mind. But he would like to know if it is possible with adding the 125GB partition that Vista is installed in to the partition that has Kubuntu installed on it.? Without having to just reinstall Kubuntu on the entire disk!

Thanks a million for any help or suggestions!

Kaedan

Re: Adding other partition to Kubuntu partition

It's possible with a tool such as the Gparted CD. It's a LiveCD that you boot to from your CDROM drive. It has tools to change the size or the identity of any given partition. So, it could change the identity of the NTFS filesystem to ext3 for instance, then you could format that partition. Once that is done, you can make use of it in almost any way you want to in Linux. It's possible to resize, merge, split all kinds of things. And oh by the way, because it is a big, very powerful tool, you could annihilate the wrong partition and have to re-install anyway !!

Now that's the nickel tour at 30,000 feet. So before you go around clobbering partitions, decide what you (or your friend) want to do with this extra turf. Get an idea of what the space might be used for (i.e., move your /home partition or have a large /media partition for movies and music), and then come back for some guidance on how to implement the idea.

I think it's great, but move slowly at first -- please.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

and this, too:
      Vista *** The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
      http://apcmag.com/dualboot
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490
        It's possible with a tool such as the Gparted CD. It's a LiveCD that you boot to from your CDROM drive. It has tools to change the size or the identity of any given partition. So, it could change the identity of the NTFS filesystem to ext3 for instance, then you could format that partition. Once that is done, you can make use of it in almost any way you want to in Linux. It's possible to resize, merge, split all kinds of things. And oh by the way, because it is a big, very powerful tool, you could annihilate the wrong partition and have to re-install anyway !!

Now that's the nickel tour at 30,000 feet. So before you go around clobbering partitions, decide what you (or your friend) want to do with this extra turf. Get an idea of what the space might be used for (i.e., move your /home partition or have a large /media partition for movies and music), and then come back for some guidance on how to implement the idea.

I think it's great, but move slowly at first -- please.
        So its possible to add it to the local file system in Kubuntu? So that kubuntu is installed in a whole 150GB rather than just 25GB?

Comment

Originally posted by kaedan

So its possible to add it to the local file system in Kubuntu? So that kubuntu is installed in a whole 150GB rather than just 25GB?
          YES.

But, using GParted or Parted Magic you must first delete the filesystem in the Vista partition, so there is no filesystem there. It must be an empty, unformatted partition. Then you can simply enlarge the Kubuntu partition all the way to the end of the drive.

Please do back up all important data first.

Comment

New Manual. New man page. See Documentation:
            http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks! Very helpful

Comment

Working...
              X