This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iommu kernal message Asus m4a79-deluxe

i built this new computer, its got pci-e video , and no onboard, any way when i boot kubuntu i get a message that says (para phrased sorry)

there is no setting for video appiture
    please adjust your iommu setting in bios
    this will cost you 64MB of Ram
    <continues normal booting>

simple enuff right , i can't seam to find an option in the bios for either a video appiture size or iommu , am i missing something or is this option just not there or maybe has a diffrent name, does any one else with this board have the same message? or does ne one know how i can fix this
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Re: iommu kernal message Asus m4a79-deluxe

Hi Sithlord,

firstly I think you need to check in BIOS whether or not an ONBOARD graphics card is still active/present and then you may want to check the make of your motherboard against what type of PCI-E cards are supported just in case there are certain models which won't work with your motherboard.

Look in BIOS for "disable on-board graphic" just in case there is a chip which you overlooked and also for the PCI-E settings which may have an aperture setting for it. Some boards with AGP graphics have an "aperture" setting but do not confuse AGP with PCI-E!.

Hope this helps.

Regards Stephen

Comment

i don't have any onboard video. only a pci-e card.

and indeed my board supports my card pcie 2.0 slot 16x newest amd n/s bridge chips.

i will check again in my bios in the pcie settings area, i find it hard to belive there is not a setting for this.

btw here is my mobo in question
      http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...64&modelmenu=1

UPDATE>>>
      i checked again in my bios the only thing i have under pci-e config is the four options three of them are related to crossfire and the last is to cap a cards power consumption.

Comment

I am getting the same error message. MSI mother board, no onboard video, AGP Geforece 6200 card installed. Never got this message until I increased my RAM to 4 GB. I, also can find no settings in my BIOS for IOMMU. AMI Bios, up to date.

I do not get this message in Hardy, only in Intrepid. System seems to work fine. I am mostly using Hardy, because of some other problems I am having with the MSI motherboard in Intrepid that I do not have in Hardy. Keep hoping a kernel update will fix my problems.

Comment

you know what Detonate you might be on to something here...

i also have 4GB of ram.... i wonder if that could be the cause.

Comment

Hi fella's,

did you check the make of your RAM and is it correct to the last detail?.

In the Asus M4A79's case: 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR2 1066*/800/667 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Any deviation from this could be bad so check the RAM specs!.

Regards Stephen

Comment

yes my ram is to the boards specs. every thing else is working just fine, compiz gets 800+fps my ram amount is correct if you account for the 64mb taken by this i should have
              4032MB of ram and that is what is reported by kubuntu. also the xp install on this machine does not complain (i get much less ram 32bit os reports 3.12GB ) also in xp i get good gfx responce.

Comment

Hi,
                have you tried disabling Compiz and/or desktop effects because I have an older machine and Compiz kinda sends it "doo-lar-lee" which is Indian for nuts!.

Regards Stephen

Comment

Doesn't have anything to do with compiz or desktop effects. This occurs at initial boot, before anything is loaded, as soon as you select the OS you want to boot in the Grub menu and hit enter.

My RAM is 4 1GB identical sticks. I had 2 1GB sticks which I have been running with for 2 years and I purchased 2 more identical to the first 2. Same make and model.

The OS will continue to boot, and everything seems to work fine after I get the message.

I checked for any available updates to my BIOS and there were none. I have googled this to death and read a lot about memory allocation and reserved blocks and so on, but no one can tell me how to change any setting in my BIOS (AMI) that will eliminate this message.

It has to be a problem with the Intrepid kernel, because I do not get this message with Hardy, and Hardy is working fine.

Maybe someone knows of a option that could be added to the kernel line in Grub that would have some effect on this.

Comment

I have a different ASUS motherboard: ASUS M2n-SLI 32 deluxe or something like that.
                    (This is a AMD AM2 platform type supporting an NVIDIA graphics card)

I get exactly the same errormessage on boot, but my system seems to work quite fine so I never bothered to check it until I saw this post header in the forum. In other words, to say it the way the cool kids seem to do nowadays: +1

Comment

I would guess this is related to the video framebuffer sharing between video RAM and main memory -- normally applicable to integrated video chips, but maybe that BIOS was designed for such boards. If you look down the page here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

there's a reference to an obscure boot option "debian-installer/framebuffer=false" -- I never heard of it, and don't understand exactly how one would apply it, if it's not a "kernel" option.

There's also the old "mem=xxxx" boot code, in megabytes, to tell it how much memory to use. I've never needed it -- but it would be an easy experiment to try.

Comment

The interesting thing is, that after boot, I check my memory and it shows 3.9 GB of available memory. So I don't seem to be losing any memory and performance is not affected. So I am not going to spend a lot of time try to chase a ghost. I just wonder what causes that message to come up, and if I should be worried. Just a side not, my 32 bit install of XP doesn't "see" all of the memory, but this is a known problem, and does not mean anything.

With 4GB installed, if I really am losing 64MB, that's not a major cause for alarm.

Comment

Check in kinfocenter and see what it says for total physical memory. I have 4G installed, and it is reported thusly:

3.87GiB

but

4,150,890,496 bytes.

There's that business with 1024 bytes = 1K, 1024K=1M, 1024M=1G, etc.

Comment

I don't have Kinfocenter, I'm not using KDE. but:

free shows:

total used free shared buffers cached
                            Mem: 4053784 958252 3095532 0 22436 363328
                            -/+ buffers/cache: 572488 3481296
                            Swap: 6080560 0 6080560

Comment

Hmmmm. Well, clearly it sees 4,053,784K. If I multiply that by 1024 I get 4,151,074,816 bytes. Why it's a different number than mine, I don't know, but I think that's all of your 4GB.

Comment

Working...
                              X