Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does one find reliable reviews of KDE software?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does one find reliable reviews of KDE software?

I have a hard time sorting through all of the software and finding something that is really good. It's great to have so many choices but I hate that most of it seems like crap.

Re: Where does one find reliable reviews of KDE software?

one man's meat is another man's poison or so the saying goes, I suppose the question to you would be: what do you want for free, all Linux software has its pro's and con's, it is up to each individual how they utilise each app they install.

You could of course try WWW. KDE.ORG or WWW.SOURCEFORGE.NET for example!. (those are lower case addresses by the way!) or any open source website basically.

Regards Stephen

Comment

I think you are asking where to find reliable reviews of software, not where to get the software itself. There is no such place that I know about. I'm sorry to say that what I usually do is pick one or two, try to use the one, if something annoys me use the second, and if neither works, install a third. With Kubuntu it's really easy to install the packages, so it's easy.

What you could do is simply ask here, list what you need or want, and ask. (This works best if you already tried one and know what you don't want and what you do need.)
      Jester's Ring

Comment

The more obsolete programs may not have reviews at all.

Tux Magazine has a many good articles on Linux software, and is a site I recommend. You might find some info going over the stuff from Mango's Q&A.

CPU (Computer Power User) sometimes has some good Linux reviews.

Then of course, you've got Freshmeat, or Source Forge with thousands of Open Source programs, which you can rate according to the number of Downloads.

For web browsing, Firefox is King. Konqueror is good for lite browsing, but not Flash sites (youtube), otherwise it is great. Epiphany is sort of a lite version of Firefox (which is kind of funny, considering...).

Multimedia Amarok gets a lot of attention, but Juk is a decent MP3 player that is already KDE4 native. Juk compares well with Rythmbox, but neither have as many features as Amarok.

For word processing, KOffice is a powerful suite, but cannot compete with Sun yet. The StarOffice/OpenOffice.org combining professional programming and sales, with open source development, makes it the best free office suite.

Most of the package managers are better under Ubuntu/Gnome, than under Kubuntu/KDE, although they have improved Adept TREMENDOUSLY...

What are you looking for specifically?
        The answers are out there...

Comment

I agree to what's been said, it's a very personal choice.

I have two sites that I have a look at when I'm in need for a application.
          One of them is this forum thread, it's in Swedish but I'm sure there's a similar in any language(either way it's just a list of names, not very language dependant ). It's basicly a thread were the users recommend applications, quite helpful as I know that at least one person have tried it and can recommend it, but there's no reviews there.

If I know the windows/commercial application and would like Linux alternative to that, I check this site. It doesn't give much info as regard of review, but have a consumer/customer comment on each app.

These two sites give me a overall view of what I may want, once I find something of interest I search for a more in depth review.
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
          X