This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer sound card.

Last time I checked, these cards were not supported. It's been a while though. My on-board sound works well, but my X-Fi card sounds better in Windows. Am I still stuck with my on-board sound?

Re: Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer sound card.

I've got an X-Fi Platinum and it works perfectly fine for me. You'll just need to compile these drivers: ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...napshot.tar.gz.

Comment

I have the same issue. I tried once before about a year ago and couldn't get it to work.

No music means no kubuntu for me. The link above gave me a different file then I had before, but same issue.

I'm from a windows BG of course and never did much with DOS so I'm lost.

How do I compile those files so I have a useable driver? Right now I have a windows 7 rc disc and am about to go with it so I figured before I loaded it up I'd at least try to get kubuntu working for me again.

Comment

Creative X-Fi is not yet supported by ALSA, so you're stuck engineering your own driver, as Jeanne-K says. Sounds like this news might come a bit late, but ALSA does support many excellent sound chips:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

Comment

Thanks, but I'm not gonna go buy another sound card to use kubuntu. So far it's no less frustrating than Vista, so I can't see spending money on it.

I currently have to DL's that I've been told will make the sound card work, yet I have to do some kind of compile to get them to work and I have no idea how.

I'd even be happy to get my onboard intel sound to work, but no luck so far, working on that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Original

I'd even be happy to get my onboard intel sound to work, but no luck so far, working on that now.
            I've got a very nice onboard intel hda sound chip, and it produces excellent audio. It should be automatically detected, but if it doesn't show up in Kmenu > System Settings > Multimedia, then you probably need to follow this guidance and make sure you have the right option set for snd_hda_intel driver:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Comment

hmmm, looks like it's probably because that soundcard is turned off in BIOS. In which case it seems I'd have to go into BIOS everytime I boot to decide which OS/ sound card I'm using. I know I had to turn it off to get my XFi to work with windows.

I'll probably try once to have them both on...

Comment

Originally posted by bgast1
                Last time I checked, these cards were not supported. It's been a while though. My on-board sound works well, but my X-Fi card sounds better in Windows. Am I still stuck with my on-board sound?
                I read that some of the X-Fi cards will be supported in Linux at the 2.6.31 kernel. I have no idea how good the support will be or what you'd have to do.

Comment

I have an XFi Extreme music and I have it working fine in Kubuntu 9.04 (64 bit)

Here's the driver I used

http://support.creative.com/Products...Fi+XtremeGamer

second one down.

Once downloaded just extract it to a folder then open a terminal.

type the following

$make

and after it has completed

$sudo make install

once complete just reboot.

This driver works fine for me, but I have an XFi Extrememusic but hey give it a shot.

Comment

Native ALSA drivers are now available in the 2.6.31 kernels in Karmic (9.10)
                    The support is still in its early stages; the audio works fine, but there appears to be no support for the CMDSS and crystallizer functions as of yet.
                    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
                    X