This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install.

Well this looked cool, seemed better than Windows except for the fact that it can not play Windows games well. I was going to dual boot this with Windows XP, but half of the time I try to install it only shows a ton of text and in each line of text it states an error, or the other half of the time it just freezes.

Any help would be appreciated.

I looked like 10 pages back and did not find a similar topic, so if this has come up before I am sorry.
    Good, Bad, I'm the guy with a minigun, chainsaw, and a big a** cannon.

Re: Can't install.

first i would check your the disk you downloaded, you want the regular live/install disk and check the md5 sum after you download to make sure your dl went well.
    some would suggest you burn the disk no faster then 4x to insure a good burn, and its not a bad idea.

does your computer boot to the live enviroment on the disk (that is if you downloaded the regular disk)

also if that tells us nothing what is the error ?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

MD5? What is an MD5? Well the download went fine, the site said that the .ISO would nearly be 700MB, the download was 699MB.

I did this burning it at 4X, that is the only speed I thought would ensure a good burn.

By "Live" do you mean the menu thing where I have to select language and whatnot? Yes it does.

I did not record the error because it says that on every single line of text, right after the load screen with the moving blue bars. Now if I had been able to use Prt Scr. + Paint.NET or if I had my Mom's camera I would have a picture of it...

Comment

md5 is basicly a way to check that you downloaded the data correctly. try this for windows to check yours
        http://beeblebrox.org/hashtab/
        find the disk you downloaded below and compare ur md5.

my disk "kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso"
        MD5:82C02DC7386DFB6858A9EC09A5059E1E

my disk "kubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso"
        MD5:824DE6BEA59D41637A41F17C00D33F7D

Comment

"Hashes do not match"

Thank you!!

I will download it again tonight (Limited bandwidth, this is not a place for one of my Hughesnet rants).

If it does not work when I download it again I will come back to this topic.

Comment

I re-downloaded and the same thing happens! >

I burned the ISO to a disk at 4X burn speed, then I restarted the computer, it went to the installation screen, I chose to install, it went to a screen with a black bar with a blue bar moving back and forth, then two more bars appeared with blue bars in them, those blue bars were stationary, then I get this:

[img width=400 height=300]http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq335/Kee715/c4acefdb.jpg[/img]
            [img width=400 height=300]http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq335/Kee715/268a78de.jpg[/img]
            [img width=400 height=300]http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq335/Kee715/35f57baa.jpg[/img]

Any idea what is wrong?

Comment

I would be inclined to burn the .iso again, and tell the burner to verify it, then - instead of hitting "Install" - select "Check disk for defects".

Isorecorder is an excellent - free - tool, available here: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

ISO Recorder is a freeware tool which makes image writing available from the Windows shell. Download and install ISO Recorder according to the instructions on the home page, and you can write images in much the same way as under GNOME in Linux: browse to locate the file, right click on it, and choose 'Copy image to CD'. This is the simplest available method for writing disc images under Windows, but it is only available for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista, and it is only able to write DVD images under Windows Vista: under Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, it can only write CD images.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Ins...and_DVD_images
              Good Luck.

Comment

Still nothing...

Comment

Can you burn ordinary data CDs without a problem?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kee715
                      I re-downloaded and the same thing happens! >
                      it went to the installation screen, I chose to install, ...
                      try the top option in the installer list something like try it out before you install
                      it will boot a live os you can install from there.. if not,

do you have less then 192mb or ram in this computer i.e should you be using the alternate cd instead?
                      and how about that new md5 checking out alright?

if you have downloading issues download the .torrent version of it as the torrent client you use will check the data more constantly then an http download. (if you don't know what a torrent is google it)

Comment

This looks like a disk controller issue. It appears that after booting linux there is a problem reading the CD from /dev/sr0. Does your computer have an adaptec SCSI controller? I suggest that you boot from the Install CD,

select English at the first screen
                        select Check CD for defects

If that checks out start looking at the various boot parameter options. You will need to know what disk controllers are in your computer, and possibly some other things about your hardware.

Back at the Kubuntu screen now, use F1 for help. Then look through F5, F6 and F7 which will tell you about options that you might need. F7 in particular talks about adaptec controllers.

If you are having trouble finding out what hardware you have you might try downloading an ISO from
                        http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/. Burn that and boot to it. It will tell you all about your hardware.

Good Luck. Keep at it. It is worth it.

Comment

Well I tried using the torrent, MD5 was good, failed.

I checked my RAM, it was 382MB of RAM so I am good there...

I tried the top option and it failed as well.

SCSI?

I can not boot from Kubuntu's CD because it will not install, and if you mean XP's CD I lack that.

I am just going to forget about Kubuntu, I will just stick with WinXP, maybe Win7 when it comes out. Thanks for the help but y'all were unsuccessful, I still can not install it and Kubuntu seems to be more of a headache than it is worth.

Comment

Working...
                          X