Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

installing flash, java and divx type codecs on kubuntu 64 bit!!?????how please!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing flash, java and divx type codecs on kubuntu 64 bit!!?????how please!

hi there

can anyone help me for installing flash, java and divx type codecs on kubuntu 64 bit

i've been surfing around trying all sorts of thigns but i guess i'm not getting right at all.
    can anyone please help!

thanks

vasheel

mauritius

p.s: i think this is going to be my last try.if i'm not able to install these well, i conclude that kubuntu is still a long long way from becoming user friendly and accessible to everyone!pfff...but still have lots of hope

Re: installing flash, java and divx type codecs on kubuntu 64 bit!!??how please!

Ok, so:
    For flash, just go to any webpage with flash using Firefox. Firefox should install flash for you (at least i think so). It will most probably popup in the bar on the top.
    Java should be in the repositories, just get it through the adept package manager, or type sudo apt-get install java.
    Divx for linux is very old and obsolete, install something like vlc media player - it plays all the common video file formats.

Comment

Re: installing flash, java and divx type codecs on kubuntu 64 bit!!??how please!

Have you tried to install package kubuntu-restricted-extras ?

Package: kubuntu-restricted-extras
      Commonly used restricted packages

This package depends on some commonly used packages in the Kubuntu multiverse repository.

Installing this package will pull in support for MP3 playback and decoding, Java runtime environment, Flash plugin, DVD playback, and LAME (to create compressed audio files).

Please note that this does not install libdvdcss2, and will not let you play encrypted DVDs. For more information, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs.

Please also note that packages from multiverse are restricted by copyright or legal issues in some countries. See http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing for more information.

For the codecs there is > Medibuntu
      Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc).
      > HOWTO: Add the Medibuntu Repository and GPG Key
      > HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine - FF, GG, and HH w/KDE 3 and 4

More of the repositories > FAQ: Repositories

=> Codec packages:

Package: non-free-codecs
      This package depends on the binaries codecs package matching your architecture
      (w32codecs for i386 and lpia, w64codecs for amd64 and ppc-codecs for powerpc
      systems).
      Package: w32codecs or w64codecs
      This package contains Win32 codec binaries, required for the
      decompression of video formats that have no open source
      alternative.

This package is in Medibuntu because of its non-free license.

A good start point is > Kubuntuguide
      Kubuntuguide has a mission of bringing you help on any aspects of the user friendly operating system. Please feel free to share your knowledge with the community.
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

you should be able to get most from the kubuntu-restricted-extras package
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
        and vlc plays all my divx videos just fine
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install vlc
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

hi...
          I know its been a while since this topic was posted, but since my problem exactly follows this post and I have consistency concerns for the forum, I thought of continuing this...

anyways, I did follow this:

Originally posted by sithlord48
          you should be able to get most from the kubuntu-restricted-extras package
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
          and vlc plays all my divx videos just fine

Code:
          sudo apt-get install vlc

and yet I still am not able to play any flash,divx,etc... in konquer, neither firefox.
          (I can play flash in firefox but thats because previously I did a manual installation of flash plugin.)

any solutions?
          Cheers, -Linda

Comment

For 64bit flash on Oneiric enable Ubuntu Partner repository and install adobe-flashplugin. For Konqueror also konqueror-nsplugins.
            Kubuntu 12.04 64bit

Comment

you want to play in firefox open your package manager and look for "mozilla-plugin" packages, these are plugin's for firefox (or other browsers that can use em) you might want the mozilla-plugin-vlc package that should let you play divx files in the browser.

Originally posted by mozilla-plugin-vlc's description
              This plugin adds support for MPEG, MPEG2, DVD, DivX, Ogg/Vorbis and many more formats to your Gecko-based web browser (Firefox, Galeon, etc.). The decoding process is done by VLC and the output window is embedded in a webpage or directly in the browser window. There is also support for fullscreen display and javascript control.

VLC is the VideoLAN project's media player. It plays MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, WebM, FLAC, MP3, Ogg/Vorbis files, DVDs, VCDs, podcasts, and multimedia streams from various network sources.

Canonical does not provide updates for mozilla-plugin-vlc. Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community.

Comment

Originally posted by Poborskiii
                For 64bit flash on Oneiric enable Ubuntu Partner repository and install adobe-flashplugin. For Konqueror also konqueror-nsplugins.
                would u guide me in enabling Ubuntu Partner Repository... I tracked the steps from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu but lost the track since i do not know what is the path for Ubuntu repositories..

you want to play in firefox open your package manager and look for "mozilla-plugin" packages, these are plugin's for firefox (or other browsers that can use em) you might want the mozilla-plugin-vlc package that should let you play divx files in the browser.

Originally posted by mozilla-plugin-vlc's description
                This plugin adds support for MPEG, MPEG2, DVD, DivX, Ogg/Vorbis and many more formats to your Gecko-based web browser (Firefox, Galeon, etc.). The decoding process is done by VLC and the output window is embedded in a webpage or directly in the browser window. There is also support for fullscreen display and javascript control.

VLC is the VideoLAN project's media player. It plays MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, WebM, FLAC, MP3, Ogg/Vorbis files, DVDs, VCDs, podcasts, and multimedia streams from various network sources.

Canonical does not provide updates for mozilla-plugin-vlc. Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community.
                did that.. everything seems to be ok, and when I got to the websites that play divx it doesnt give me the message of missing plugins, but when I click on play button, nothing happens... any suggestions?
                Cheers, -Linda

Comment

to enable the partner repo open up your package manager (either muon or kpackagekit) and select edit software sources there will be an entry for Partner repo on iirc the second tab.

Comment

to enable the partner repo open up your package manager (either muon or kpackagekit) and select edit software sources there will be an entry for Partner repo on iirc the second tab.
                    sry im getting a little bit confused..
                    which one im supposed to choose under here (snapshot):
                    Attached Files
                    Cheers, -Linda

Comment

the one labeled "Canonical Partners" and if you want you can enable the "Canonical Partners (Source Code)" as well

Comment

Working...
                      X