Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help with setting up graphics card(intel gma x3100)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with setting up graphics card(intel gma x3100)

Hello

I have been using Linux on and off for a couple of years and i have always gone back to windows because i could never figure out how to install/configure my video card.

so I'm trying again...

i have a new laptop.
    Inspiron 1525
    core 2 duo 2.0 ghz
    3gb ram
    Intel gma x3100(i guess it's 965 chipset?)

xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    i can't remember anything else where the videocard info is...so if you need anymore info ask.

oh btw I'm using the latest kubuntu build(and stable upgrades)

Re: need help with setting up graphics card(intel gma x3100)

What specifically are you looking ot configure? I'm runnign the GMA965 in a thinkpad, and it works great without any additional config.
    # make install --not-war

Comment

right i guess i should have said that.

it's just slow running kde(not really slow just enough to be annoying). my system can run vista with no problems at all so i should think it can run kde without any performance issues. and since i paid for the better processor and memory, the only thing i can think of that is hurting my performance is the video card. and when i looked in the xorg.conf file and didn't see anything specific about the card i figured it was not configured correctly.

also i'm taking a java class(college) and i have to make a graphics window with balls bouncing around every where and it is extremely slow rendering the balls slow enough that i have to program in windows when i'm doing anything that involves graphics(maybe thats just java in linux though).

thanks,

Micah.

Comment

Go to the K Menu -> System -> Hardware Drivers" (can't remember exactly".

See it mentions any "Proprietary" drivers, and make sure they are enabled.

Also, have you tried running a 3D Screensaver, such as the Pipe maze, or Matrix, or Flying toasters, etc...

Do you have compositing enabled on your desktop? Shadows, transparencies, etc...

Personally, I have found Flash and Java to be slower on many Linux machines, than in Windows.
        The answers are out there...

Comment

ok hardware drivers says that "no proprietary drivers are in use on this system"

and aperently i don't have any screensavers(i went to system settings->desktop->screensaver and all that is there is blank and random).

btw this is a clean install of kubuntu(downloaded it last night. installed it today and updated)

edit.
          i installed xscreensaver and now i have screensavers...

the screensavers seem to run fine...about every 5-6 second it lags for a frame or 2 but for the most part it runs pretty good.

Comment

I've found this problem with an ATi graphics card and others with other ATi cards have verified. It may also work with your Intel card.

Try running this command in a terminal
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg

It will only give a few options. When it gets to use frame buffer the default is usually 'no'. Try 'yes'.
            leave the other options such as keyboard as they are. Your current xorg.conf will be saved as xorg.conf.yymmddhhmmss

I can't guarantee that it will work, but if it doesn't you can change the old xorg.conf.yymmddhhmmss back to xorg.conf
            HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

that seemed to help!
              thank you!

i also figured out that running java in netbeans is a heck of a lot slower than running it in eclipse for some reason. anyone know why?

Comment

Working...
              X