This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bottom panel deleted by accident

Help!!! I am a newbie using Kubuntu 8.10. I was playing around with the bottom panel on KDE 4.1. I thought I was deleting something else when I deleted the bottom panel. Now I can do nothing. Any suggesting on how to install the panel again without any icons showing? Many thanks...Fran

Re: bottom panel deleted by accident

You could remove your .kde directory and login again. That would restore everything to the original. You should also be able to right-click on the desktop and select "Add Panel".

Comment

I found my original post and would like to ask you how to remove the KDE directory. I have the "run command" available to me on the desktop. Thanks for taking the time to help me...Fran

Comment

No don't delete the kde directory. Just rebuild the panel.

On the desktop, right click, unlock widgets. Then right click and select add panel. And then you rebuild the pieces of the panel by adding the tasklist etc to it. (Right click on unlocked panel and add widgets)

There aren't that many widgets in the list, so its not that difficult with a bit of trial & error.

Deleting the kde directory will remove a lot of settings & stuff...its really a last resort solution.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocXphere
          No don't delete the kde directory. Just rebuild the panel.

On the desktop, right click, unlock widgets. Then right click and select add panel. And then you rebuild the pieces of the panel by adding the tasklist etc to it. (Right click on unlocked panel and add widgets)

There aren't that many widgets in the list, so its not that difficult with a bit of trial & error.

Deleting the kde directory will remove a lot of settings & stuff...its really a last resort solution.
          I agree with Havoc, he just gave you all the steps. Do not delete the .kde directory, It works but if you have anything important you are going to loose them.
          You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
          Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
          Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

Pookito and Havoc are not wrong. What you should do depends on what you want to accomplish. If you have a brand new system you might well want to restore it to the original, although this will destroy any customization you have done. Restoring the panel and then restoring an Application Launcher would get you operational again.

There is something to be learned in your second question also, though. From the "run command" type konsole and hit enter. You will then have a terminal from which you can proceed to delete the ~/.kde directory if you so choose.

Comment

Working...
            X