X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XP on SATA RAID 0 and Kubuntu on IDE HDD

Hi Dibl, thanks for your reply.

My DVD drive is a SATA and the IDE cable is new, never been used before. I will swap the cable for one of the hundreds I have lying around, to make sure it's not that.

I’m sure the IDE is enabled in my BIOS. I’m not at home to check at the minute. I know my BIOS can see the drive as it is listed. It even shows the manufacturer.

I can’t remember why I have it as a spare drive though. It might be a faulty one I never got rid of. I will however try the CS on it. Are there any checks I can do to see if it’s in good nick? I have XP installed on that PC, but could also use any tools that came on the Kubuntu 8.10 live CD.
    I have a mind like a steel trap. Stuff gets in there and WHAM! it never gets back out again.

Comment

If your BIOS is not detecting the hard drive, then no OS is going to see it either.

FYI, here's a very handy tool for such adventures:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=2020&cpc=RECOM

Keeps you from opening the case just to test a hard drive.

Comment

From what I can remember the BIOS does see the HDD. I will double check when I'm home.

I will also look into the link you sent. I could do with testing the HDD.
        I have a mind like a steel trap. Stuff gets in there and WHAM! it never gets back out again.

Comment

Working...
        X