This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing KDe 4.2 unresolvable dependency problem

I am using Kubuntu 8.10 but would like to install KDE 4.2. I added http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main to the sources list and upgraded. However, I had problems with unresolvable dependencies and no amount of sudo apt-get -f install or dpkg --configure -a would resolve the problem. The problem seemed to relate to kdebase-workspace-data (and/or kdebase-workspace-bin). I couldn't resolve the problem and had to do a new clean install of 8.10

I would still like to install 4.2. Could anybody kindly tell me how such dependency problems can be resolved?

With grateful thanks, Martin

Re: Installing KDe 4.2 unresolvable dependency problem

Try using aptitude without any command line options. You have to play with it for a while, but it always resolved simillar problems for me.

Comment

Many thanks but I am not certain I fully understand. If I don't use any options, exactly what will I write?

Comment

just type "sudo aptitude" in konsole. It has a text user interface. There is a menu item titled "solver" or something simmilar.

Comment

Hi, found it thank you! I am now going to try and do an upgrade to 4.2 (fourth time lucky) and then use sudo aptitude to try and resolve any problems! Fingers crossed...

Comment

if i am not mistaken that is one of the packages that does not work w/ kde4.2. use the version from the PPA repo (also libplasma2 is another one i know that is not compatible w/ kde4.2)

my upgrade route can be found here.
            http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2
            i know you have prolly checked there..
            i had issues cause i forgot to add the gpg key ( it was the end of a very long day ..)
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X