This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gOS

could someone tell me can i dual boot kubuntu 8.10 with gOS and if so how to go about it.I never dualbooted any thing before so please be patient, would like to see what google have to offer

Re: gOS

gOS uses GRUB, so this is easy, just like any dual boot.

Conceptually, you've got Kubuntu already installed, so partition/install gOS, it will overwrite your Kubuntu GRUB with its own GRUB and it will make a boot menu for you. When you re-boot the PC, you'll have a choice which OS to use.

Use GParted Live CD to make a partition for gOS.
    Install gOS in that partition.
    Re-boot and see what happens.

You don't need this reference (yet), just go ahead and install gOS, but here's a GRUB toolkit:
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    SECTION 5: Dual-booting
    Installing two or more Linux operating systems; > RECOMMENDED method

If you are going to mess around like this, it's always a good idea NOW to make yourself a Live Super Grub Disk (just in case you can't boot into any OS):
    Super Grub Disk: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Partitioning—how to, Rog131:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090704.0

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

ya that was easy every thing worked straight off gOS seems pritty good to thanks.

Comment

That was quick! Nice work x-dog.

If you ever get rid of gOS, you will not be able to boot Kubuntu because gOS controls the booting now (since it was installed second).

Not a problem -- before nuking gOS, first re-install GRUB using the GRUB files in Kubuntu -- easy, 3 GRUB commands, root, setup, and quit. In my GRUB toolkit, that's Section 3. In fact, you can even do that from a Live Kubuntu CD--so not to worry
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

All right thanks a million

Comment

You bet x-dog. Looks like a fair amount of support info on gOS, unofficial site, etc. You should have some fun trying it out--good luck.

Comment

Ok i tried gOS and dont realy like it can someone help me to uninstall it now please.

Comment

OK. Two steps:

1 Reinstall GRUB to the Master Boot Record of your hard drive USING the GRUB FROM Kubuntu (NOT the GRUB from gOS).
                2 You can delete the gOS partition -- or, you can just ignore it or you can reformat it (as ext3). No need really to do anything with it yet, just let it sit there until you need to do a reorganization of your drive. It's up to you.

On #1 -- reinstall GRUB using GRUB from Kubuntu:

Boot into Kubuntu.
                Open Konsole.
                Type
                sudo grub
                and press Enter
                That gives you a GRUB prompt like this: grub>
                Type these commands:
                grub>find /boot/grub/stage1
                That will return two partitions written as (hdx,y) (for some numbers x and y).
                Pick the Kubuntu partition. That will probably be the (hd0,y) where y is the smallest number, like y=0 (since Kubuntu was installed first and gOS was installed on a second partition).
                So pick the Kubuntu partition (hd0,y) and put that here:
                grub>root (hd0,y)
                grub>setup (hd0)
                grub>quit
                $exit
                Now reboot to test it, see if you get what looks like your old Kubuntu boot menu again and then boot into Kubuntu.
                If that works, you can safely ignore gOS (i.e., do nothing) or delete its partition or reformat its partition.

Comment

ya that worked thanks i am thinking of trying mandrivia or fedora which would you recommend i only have 512mb RAM so im kind of limited to what i can put on it

Comment

Originally posted by x-dog
                    ya that worked thanks i am thinking of trying mandrivia or fedora which would you recommend i only have 512mb RAM so im kind of limited to what i can put on it
                    I've been using Mandriva 2009 PWP since it was released (last August?) and it is a very good distro, as are the free versions I suspect. However, I doubt that it would run very fast on a box with only 512MB. If you are going to run it through a VM I suspect that the speed problem would be even worse. Dittos for Fedora.

You might want to consider running Ubuntu but using a LIGHT desktop, like Enlightenment, or fvwml, or icewm, or jwm, or sawfish, or wmaker, or what ever Ubuntu offers in the "other desktops" selection. You can even install as many as you wish and use wmanager to switch between them. There may be more than a dozen other desktops available.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

mandrivia or fedora ...?

Sorry, no experience with either. Go with GreyGeek on that. How about Xubuntu? (I haven't tried it, but it's light.) I'm messing with sidux right now, kind of a stable-unstable experience, some do-it-yourself, stay on your toes, but I like it. MEPIS is kinda interesting. Mint? There's a thread here somewher, I can't find it now, Distribution Showdown; it might have some ideas.

Glad you fixed your current issue, x-dog.

Comment

all rigtht thanks to ye both and i think i'll try Xubuntu and see how it goes thanks again.

Comment

ok can someone explain to me how to delete gos from my hardrive

Comment

Originally posted by x-dog
                            ok can someone explain to me how to delete gos from my hardrive
                            Depends on what you want to do with the space. Replace it with another distro? Just install that distro into that partition. Use the space for storage? Use gparted (it's in the repository) to reformat it and give it a name (./opt, or /backup, or /joe, or what ever). Or, use gparted to empty it and then expand your current active partition into it.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

so,

if the gOS partition is the right size for your new OS, then as GreyGeek has said, simply run the installer for new OS and indicate to put the OS in the existing gOS partition.

If the gOS partition is not big enough for the new OS, then run GParted Live CD, delete the gOS partition, create a new ext3 partition in the available unallocated space, exit GParted, then run the new OS CD installer.

You can also run GParted from Kubuntu, as GreyGeek said. It's in 8.10, but you may have to install it in 8.04 (I can't recall); check to see if it is there: K > System > Partition Editor. If it isn't, you need to install the program gparted. If you do it that way, you will get pop-ups of device windows, and so click Cancel each time (there may be several, repeatedly). I prefer GParted Live CD -- a handy tool to have around.

Comment

Working...
                              X