X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem installing nvidia driver with kde 4.1

Hi everyongt

I just new to kde and thought about giving it a try. I installed kubuntu 8.10 with kde 4.1(64 bit).
    I clicked on hardware drivers to get my nvidia video driver, and a list pop up whereby a small button saying 'activate' is present.just clicked it but no response. tehre's nvidia version 173 and version 177(recommended as it says). but nothing seems to work. Something just pops up saying downloading but stays at 0%.then it disappears( ?) and all the list in the dialog box greys out!. nothing installs, i'm stuck with a display 800x600 which is frustrating considering the fact that i've got a geforce 9400gt wit512mb ddr2 memory on it!

can someone please help.i've been trying to go through adept but can understand a thing. downloaded the 64 bit driver from nvidia but its not a double click instalation like on windows it seems!

please help.totally new to this OS and i just don't want to discard it because of this prob.

thanks

vasheel

Mauritius

Re: problem installing nvidia driver with kde 4.1

First check your xorg.conf file which driver you use currently (I might be nv not nvidia). There are 3 methods to install official drivers:
    1. download installer from nvidia.com; this solution has one significant problem - any change in kernel and you have to reinstall it manually
    2. use envyng - many people use it. This script allows you to download the latest drivers. I personally have no experience with it. Search forum - there was a complete guide posted some time ago.
    3. Install drivers from Ubuntu repository - install nvidia-glx-180, nvidia-180-kernel-source, nvidia-180-modaliases packages (and some more necessary for complete setup). Drivers in repositories are not the latest, but you don't have to worry about any kernel changes.

I would also recommend nvidia-settings - a very nice and helpful program that will give you info about your current setup (monitor settings, driver info etc). It can also help you to create a new xorg.conf file.

Comment

uhmmm

i'm a bit lost
      can someone please help trough step by step..... i kno it may a lot asking but sure it gonna help many afterwards.... please. tried searching but seems thigns always go worng and i really dont kno wat to do.i'm reinstalling the thing but need more help here.please

vasheel

mauritius

Comment

1. Go to a tty console and shut down the X server. Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install envyng-qt
        Code:
        sudo envyng -t
        4. From the EnvyNG menu, you probably first need to choose "Remove" the driver, due to your previous attempts with the Hardware Drivers thing.

5. Then from the EnvyNG menu, choose #1 "Install" the driver.

6. Then choose "Start the X Server" and you should be in good shape.

Comment

Working...
        X