This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates and OS doesn't get past login [Solved]

Well, it accepts the logon info, accesses the HDD and then stops with the new KDE startup screen and nothing else. If I try going into failsafe mode from the login screen I get a lot of random guff on the screen. Going into recovery mode via Grub and using the DPKG repair option it tells me that there is 16.9MB to download which it doesn't do as, in recovery, there's no network. Final message from DPKG is:

Code:
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded
    Going to CLI and using apt-get install -f results in the same message.

I should probably note that the Adept update itself didn't go well but I used the apt-get install -f as suggested and that seemed to fix it - it didn't report any errors. It just hasn't worked since.

Re: Updates and OS doesn't get past login

Possibly #10 here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

Comment

No, I actually think I'm logging in. I just don't have anything on screen to show it. I see the new background for KDE and the mouse pointer and nothing else. If I allow it to go to screen saver when I wake up the computer it shows a white screen.

Comment

OK.

Code:
        lspci
        and lets have a look at your video system.

Comment

DPKG has a details query which tells you what it's supposed to be doing. I didn't look before because it doesn't do anything afterward.

It tells me thi:
          Code:
          Remove: digicam kipi-plugins libkexiv2-3

Install: kde-base-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data kde-plasma-addons kde-plasma-addons-data kubuntu-desktop libkexiv2-7 libxklavier12
          I suspect the reason that I can't see anything is because there's nothing there to see :/

Code:
          lspci
          Brought up lots of stuff basically telling me what's on my PCI bus. I suspect you're interested in the last line

Code:
          02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600GT (rev 1a)
          I have the latest drivers installed using EnvyNG.

Comment

Hmmmmm. You may be right. Did you ever have a KDE desktop on this system? Was this installed from a Live CD, or via upgrade from a previous system?

Have you tried
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
            ?

Comment

The system has always had Kubuntu with the KDE GUI on it. This all went wrong this morning when the new updates came through (I'm assuming updates to KDE 4.2).

I can't run that command and get anything different because the only way to access the PC is through the recovery console which doesn't initialize the network - or, at least, doesn't accept DHCP from my router. I'm posting this from my nephews laptop (512MB, Celeron, Vista  :-X)

PS. Yes, I did run the command but it was the same as running apt-get update. It just says that it can't resolve the address and finishes without installing.

Comment

If someone could explain how to manually setup the ethernet so that it has a correct IP (192.168.1.2), correct routing (gateway 192.168.1.1) and can access a DNS server I'd probably be able to finish the update and it should work.

Comment

ok, got the ip address and gateway done, now all I need to know is how to tell it to use a DNS server so that it can look up host names. Anyone?

Comment

Followed Here manual config to setup eth1. Edited resolv.conf so that the machine could look up a DNS server.

All very painful - needs a command so that a DNS server can be setup temporarily like the IP address and gateway. Something like:
                    Code:
                    route dns [ipaddress]
                    All go now and 4.2 looks much smarter than 4.1

Comment

Working...
                    X