X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I load modules at startup?

Hi there

I'm very new to Linux / Kubuntu so this is probably a real "newbie" question!

I am running Kubuntu breezy on an IBM X30 and am trying to get the thinkpad buttons utility to work at start up.

I have added nvram module to /etc/modules so it now appears in /dev/ when I boot up.

If I then use mknod and chnod as instructed and restart my session it works fine - volume and screen brightness levels displayed on screen when I press the buttons - great!

BUT - if I restart the laptop it all stops working! nvram is still in /dev/ but the thinkpad buttons utility says it is not loaded?

What do I need to do to make the thinkpad buttons utility recognise the nvram module automatically at start up?

Re: How do I load modules at startup?

Have you tried this:

Ubuntu on IBM Thinkpad T42
    http://www.tuxme.com/node/544

Thinkpad Buttons

First, create a new group called nvram:
    sudo addgroup nvram

Then add yourself to this group:
    sudo adduser [username] nvram

Make sure that the nvram module gets loaded automatically on boot. Add nvram to /etc/modules on a new line.

Finally make sure that udev gives read/write permissions for the /dev/nvram device to all members of the nvram group. Make sure your /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions has the following lines:

misc/nvram:root:nvram:660
    nvram:root:nvram:660
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X