X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen Dim at Splash Screen (KDE 4.2 & nVIDIA driver 177) Intrepid

Hi,
    I just installed Kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) few days ago, and everything is fine. I upgraded the system, still fine.
    Then I installed KDE 4.2, following the Instructions on http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2

After that, every time after I login, on the splash screen, the screen dim. Well, I found a walkaround, adjust brightness by keyboard...

Can you tell me how to deal with the problem totally? Thank you

My laptop: ASUS F8sv
    Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology
    - Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors T7250
    NVIDIA GeForce8600M GS
    14.1" Widescreen Color Shine LCD
    DDR2 667MHz, 2G

Re: Screen Dim at Splash Screen (KDE 4.2 & nVIDIA driver 177) Intrepid

Sounds like the desktop effects "Dim Inactive" is on. i.e. everything except the foreground in dimmed out.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocXphere
      Sounds like the desktop effects "Dim Inactive" is on. i.e. everything except the foreground in dimmed out.
      Thank you for your reply I checked the option, "Dim Inactive" is off.
      And I unmarked all desktop effects seems like will dim something, but still don't work...

Comment

Hmmm. Just noticed that you've got a laptop listed in your sig.

Chances are that its somehow related to the powersaving features of kde 4.2. I'm not on a laptop
        at the moment and not on KDE4.2 either, but you can change the brightness of the screen with kpowersave.

You might have to install it from the repos.

There is a setting for "Autodim" and "Brightness"...perhaps you'll find suitable settings there.

Some of the laptops also toggle screen brightness on their own...but this only started with kde4.2, so
        its probably not a hardware issue.

Comment

I noticed that I didn't install the kpowersave, And I just accidently reset the X config file in recovery mode.
          All my desktop effect disabled, and the driver deactived. (Well, that's fine...)
          Then the problem is still there... I don't know why...

Forget to tell you that, this only happen the first time OS start, i.e. Restart
          Logoff and Login again, Ctrl+Alt+<-- this won't happen...

Attached is my Power Manager setting. btw, I'm using cable.
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Screen Dim at Splash Screen (KDE 4.2 &amp; nVIDIA driver 177) Intrepid

Did you find a solution? I have the same issue in a ASUS laptop.

Comment

Re: Screen Dim at Splash Screen (KDE 4.2 &amp; nVIDIA driver 177) Intrepid

OK, I found the problem. In the power manager profile the screen brightness get reduced when you put the slider to right. Usually one would expect the opposite. When I change it as per the attached image the issue went away.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X