X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq Armada 7800 Boot issue

Hello,

I just downloaded kubuntu 5.10 (iso) to try it on my old laptop, but the install cd won't boot.

The kubuntu install cdrom boots on my other laptop, and a winxp install cd boots on my armada, witch means that the hardware is ok, and the kubuntu install cd is ok too.

Also, there's no bios on my armada, I need to change settings in the bios with a separate bootdisk, but scince de winxp install cd boots, it's off no use to go and change settings in there.

What can I do ?

Re: Compaq Armada 7800 Boot issue

Hi,

Can you tell us more about this no boot ? Is it starting menu to launch and then hanging or is it doing like there's no cd inside ?
    Maybe it's because the cd is not seen by your laptop, is it possible ?

Comment

It was a compaq armada PII 300Mhz wit 256Mb of RAM.

Installed OS was Debian, it worked.
      Tried to boot from Kubuntu 5.10 iso file I downloaded and burned. No succes. (acted like no cd in the drive)
      Tried to boot WinXP cd, succes, booted...
      Tried to boot Kubuntu 5.10 install cd on another laptop, succes, booted..

So everything seems teo be working fine, exept booting the Kubuntu install cd on the armada...

Could it be that the boot image on the cd is too new for my old armada, so the BIOS doesn't know what to do with it ?

I installed Kubuntu 5.10 i386 on another machine now, a targa with a 1200Mhz Athlon and 512Mb of RAM, it works pretty fine, but I still have LOTS of things to change...

Comment

I have an old Armada 7400, basically the same machine, it will boot happily from some discs but not others (be they XP or linux). Reburning the disc at a different speed or on different media would often cure the problem, I don’t think that the Cdrom on the Compaq is the greatest, that said my Dell C610 won’t boot from a SuSE 10.1 DVD but will from CD.
        KDE 3.5 RC1 and Dapper Drake....waiting for it to implode

Comment

Working...
        X