X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual boot Kubuntu/XP on Nox A14

Hi,

being a complete linux beginner, I am trying to install a dual boot winXP / Kubuntu 8.10 on a brand new Zepto Nox A14. As this laptop is new, sold without OS and supposed to be good, the topic might interest some people.

config: Zepto Nox A14 / 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) / NVIDIA® Geforce 9600M GT 512MB / Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor P7350 / 4096MB DDR2 800MHz PC6400 / 250GB SATA harddisk / DVD-RW/CD-RW SATA / Zepto Zpro2 Wireless 300Mbit / Built-in Bluetooth® 2.0 EDR / Built-in webcam 2.0 megapixel / Built-in digital microphone / 9 cell battery

Zepto advertise they tried the nox a14 with Ubuntu 8.04, and here http://www.primekey.se/~tomas/zeptonoxa15.html, they say everything is working perfectly after install.
    This is not the case for me ! I did read quite a lot before starting and I thought it would be much easier, but I keep having some problems !!

I started first with Kubuntu 8.10 (AMD64) alone, but wasn't able to get the wireless running. As I wanted internet quickly, I deleted Kubuntu and started to install win XP (apparently it is better to start with XP first) on a 18Gb partition (there is a little manipulation to do first before installing XP http://uk.zepto.com/Information/Defa...ormationid=736, otherwise you get a bluescreen), then I formatted a 190Gb NTFS partition (storage), in order to keep the remaining 30Gb for Kubuntu.

Before installing Kubuntu, XP was working fine (NB: the only thing not working perfectly under XP was USB, having problems from time to time), then after Kubuntu, XP would not boot anymore. As I wanted to keep XP (to be able to actually do things). So I tried running FIXMBR under Windows recovery console, but then (of course), GRUB was not loading and windows bootloader not showing Linux. And anyway, that didn't fix windows ...

At the first try, with Kubuntu alone, MP3 were not playing because of a problem with ..xine-ffmepg (or close to), Videos & Wifi neither. And also something with Nvidia proprietary drivers being not used (I think they are available somewhere). I tried to remove network card 8169 to install 8168, but that didn't solve the wifi, and I also tried a guide given by Zepto, but that didn't helped neither.

So I am starting from scratch, but to do it right this time, here are my questions :
    - is it ok to partition in this order XP then storage then Linux, or should Linux come just after XP. Are the sizes I used ok ?
    - does it happen that after installing Kubuntu, XP is not working anymore ? is that a common problem ?
    - is there anything with GPT protection ? I read somewhere that Zepto HDD are GPT protected and in order to install on them, they should not. But in fact I manage to run both XP and Kubuntu, so this is not an issue. Is there a way to check this in the BIOS ? (I searched but didn't find).
    - how do you install additional package under linux after installation WITHOUT a working Internet connection ? do you insert the CD or run from CD or just install from the terminal ?

I know this is a lot of questions ... I read and tried from many topics but so far I can't get the dual boot working.
    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Re: dual boot Kubuntu/XP on Nox A14

And this is the advice from Zepto support for making the wireless card working under (K)ubuntu. There is a little mistake (file name, way it extracts, readme instruction inside the file being different from the ones written, etc.) It hadn't work yet for me.

Downloading the driver:
    wget -c http://xodeus.dk/wp-content/uploads/...a_v1500tar.bz2

Extracting the driver:
    tar -jxvf 2008_0108_rt2860_linux_sta_v1500tar.bz2

Compiling the installation:
    cd 2008_0108_rt2860_linux_sta_v1500
    sudo make
    sudo make install

Installing
    echo rt2860sta /etc/modules
    echo “deb http://apt.wicd.net gutsy extras” | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wicd
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Now Windows decided to work (along with wireless at last, but not USB yet), so if the partioning is good and if there are no mistakes in what I've done previously, I'd like to simply restore GRUB (with the Live CD ??) to start setting up Kubuntu.

Comment

any hint on how to restore GRUB (after a FIXMBR) to have access to linux ?
        I have access to all files (incl. windows boot.ini and all linux installed), I just don't know where and how change to restore GRUB ...

USB problem solved by patching win XP SP2&3, no problem under kubuntu

Comment

You need Qqmike's Grub How-To. Check the links in my signature block, look for #3, and follow the links there.

Comment

Working...
          X