X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admin rights

Hello all,

I am very new to Linux.. but i have to say i have fallen in love with Kubuntu :P

Im just wondering if anyone can help me:

How do i get Admin rights under kubuntu? I only have one user shouldnt I be admin?

Re: Admin rights

You are admin and you arent;

Ok, you can get admin rights for a single program at a time.
    For graphical programs run "kdesu program" or "kdesudo program"
    for console programs run "sudo program"
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Ok.. I wanted to move some files so i typed "sudo dolphin" into konsole
      entered password
      Up came dolphin and it worked!

Thanks a million!

Comment

just a suggestion...if you are using a GUI program (like dolphin), instead of using sudo, one of the following:

Kubuntu 8.10, use kdesudo,
        Kubuntu 8.04 or lower, use kdesu.

It has to do with the way each command deals with files it accesses, and you run the risk in rare circumstances to screw up file permissions if you use sudo for GUI programs.

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Much appreciated! Works fine too!

Comment

Originally posted by kaedan
            Ok.. I wanted to move some files so i typed "sudo dolphin" into konsole
            entered password
            Up came dolphin and it worked!

Thanks a million!
            Be very careful doing this!

If the "files" are supposed to be user data, and you move them "as root", i.e. with a dolphin session in root mode, they will be saved with root privileges. Then a user will not be able to write over them. Is this what you intend?

Comment

Ah, the innocence of a newbie. There so cute when their young.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So is Root administrator?

Is there no way of making a user admin?

Comment

In the *buntu's, the user who does the installation is granted the ability to gain 'root' privileges - when needed - to do tasks that only root can do. This is accomplished in several ways.

You are going to need to become familiar with sudo and kdesu commands. Search the forum and read the man pages. This is going to be something you really want to understand - it is not hard. If you don't, and you operate 'as root' in the wrong way, you can really mess up your system.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So is Root administrator?
                    Yes, root is the superuser. The "admininistrator" as you put it.

Is there no way of making a user admin?
                    Yes, you have been doing that already e.g. when you did "sudo dolphin", you the user acted as root/admin.

I would say "whoever becomes root/admin has huge powers, and can be very useful as well as extremely dangerous to the system"

So let me suggest: you only want to be "admin" (root) when you want to do serious global stuff such as installing software, configuring system files, fixing broken system stuff, etc.

But I suggest that you remain a normal "user" if you are doing ordinary daily jobs such as copying/editing YOUR letters, pictures, etc. --- unless if you want things otherwise ...

The issue is "root can do almost anything, as such while being root/admin you can accidently damage the system".

So my general suggestion: Do not be root for no good reason, and close all root sessions when the root's task is done --- and proceed with YOUR stuff as mormal user.

Isix
                    Cheers,<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Isix<br />______________________________________<br />&quot;Views and opinions expressed by me are not necessarily true --- they merely remain my views and opinions&quot;<br />______________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
                      Kubuntu 8.10, use kdesudo,
                      Kubuntu 8.04 or lower, use kdesu.
                      Tnx a million, I came here to find out why the heck isn't kdesu working in 8.10, it worked so well in 7.04 and newer Kubuntu versions I used. Now I know, they've changed it to kdesudo
                      In a world without walls and fences - who needs windows and gates?

Comment

Working...
                      X