X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commands at startup

ARGH!!!

I love the K Desktop Environment, but have found it a hassle when scheduling commands to run when KDE does. Like the Sessions contols in XFCE and GNOME. Is there a way to run commands like this at startup?
    Code:
    konsole -x sudo /home/mandrakethepenguin/abyssws/abyssws
    or
    Code:
    xterm -e sudo noip2
    I need to run the first command, to run my Abyss Web server ( I dont like Apache ) and the second for my dynamic update client ( I know there is an init - configured one on the repos ). I'am prepared to write init scripts, if anyone had any sort of reference to help me do so.

Any help is apreciated.

Re: Commands at startup

Any .sh (shell?) scrips placed in /home/Username/.kde/Autostart with exec permissions will auto run at startup.

If you need them to run as su as in ur example you can add the cmd to the bottom of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

Comment

don't know if it's the proper way to do it but i had followed the advice in this post in the past. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132164

it worked for me.

to the experts - any reason not to do it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by luke1011
        don't know if it's the proper way to do it but i had followed the advice in this post in the past. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132164

it worked for me.

to the experts - any reason not to do it this way?
        As always with linux, there are multiple ways of doing things (often one alternative is just as good as another)

There are many places where you can put your own scripts (they are run in different stages of the boot process...sometimes you need a script to run early, sometimes you need it to run when X is starting, for example)

For system tidyness and manageability, one good place is the /etc/rc.local -file (at least on Dapper...I seem to recall it was missing on Breezy)...it is run with the rc.local init-script at the end of all multi-user runlevels (unless you have disabled it in system services)

Comment

Working...
        X