X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalling KDE and other questions

Hello

I am running Intrepid Ibex with KDE 4.2 . Lately after installing virtualbox, something must have been messed up, because I am getting the infamous "no windows decorations" issue. I am aware that I can run kwin --replace & and it does get my window decorations back, but it happens every time I start Kubuntu. Also, after I run Kwin, the system seems to lock up arbitrarily at times. I would like to reinstall KDE4.2 in hopes of solving this problem since it used to work great earlier. How does one go about reinstalling KDE?

The other problem I have is of disk partitioning. Here is how it is set up

Disk /dev/sda: 122.9 GB, 122942324736 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14946 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xb8eab8ea

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 1824 14651248+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 1825 12757 87819322+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda3 12758 13973 9767520 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 13974 14946 7815622+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda5 1825 12158 83007823+ b W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda6 12576 12757 1461883+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Thus, there is 79GB NTFS partition for data, a 14 GB C: where W2K resides and boots from, and 9 GB for /home and 7 GB for / and a swap portion. I also have around 40 GB on the disk that has not been partitioned or formatted of free space that I had reserved for future use. I now wish to use this, half as a windows disk and half as a Linux .. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance for your help, this community is extremely helpful!

Re: Reinstalling KDE and other questions

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Issue 1: What do you get when you do
      Code:

sudo apt-get install libkdecorations4
      Issue 2: Use PARTITION EDITOR. Windows partitions can be VFAT/FAT32, and linux ones can be EXT3 or so --- Please be careful when partitioning, B-A-C-K-U-P all data!
      Cheers,<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Isix<br />______________________________________<br />&quot;Views and opinions expressed by me are not necessarily true --- they merely remain my views and opinions&quot;<br />______________________________________

Comment

Thanks for the response

issue 1: apt-get reports that libkdecorations4 is already at latest version

I will use GParted, thanks!

BTW Google shows KDE Partition Manager as well, have you used it?

Comment

Gparted gets my vote.

I recommend you download the live CD version as you can work on the partitions with none of them actually running which is far, far, safer IMHO.

Comment

Working...
          X