This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Kubuntu issues.

I'm a programmer/designer/developer with a custom 64-bit pc. I just uninstalled Ubuntu today, because it was disfunctional and unmanagable to my standards. I returned to linux in favor of Kubuntu.
    First, I'd like to compliment Kubuntu. It has a great style and flashy design, right out-of-the-box. It also comes with handy applications like a browser, audio player, browser, etc. That said, it has a few misgivings.
    First of all I use instant messenging often for communication. I opened and configured Kopete, which I like and am getting familiar with. Only problem is
    1. It displays every user on my list. Offline as well. I have a huge number of contacts, so I group them, and every group is littered with offline users which I have to sift through. Is there any way I can set it to never show these offline users, so I can make use of IM?
    2. No firefox support? Konqueror is good and all, but I've notices serious disfunction with web applications I use regularly.
    Also, my reasearch led me to beleive Kubuntu was an Ubuntu subproject, with the same linux kernal and a KDE interface. Thus, I thought I could run all the applications I could on Ubuntu? Apparently not. I tried to install Firefox as an alternative to Konqueror, and substitute Pidgen for Kopete, but the adept installer is not capable. Can I still make use of these applications by installing them by hand, or enabling third-party sources in Adept Installer?
    Please and thank you for your help, I'm very interested in Kubuntu but am having a hard time working myself into it.

Re: Multiple Kubuntu issues.

Originally posted by akirablaid
    1. It displays every user on my list. Offline as well. I have a huge number of contacts, so I group them, and every group is littered with offline users which I have to sift through. Is there any way I can set it to never show these offline users, so I can make use of IM?
    Right-click on empty space in the contact list, the menu has an option to hide off-line users.

2. No firefox support?
    Ubuntu and kubuntu use the same repositories, so everything available for ubuntu is available for kubuntu (and vice versa). Can't speak for Adept, I don't have it installed (I use synaptic for GUI package management), but you can install firefox with 'sudo apt-get install firefox'

Comment

Adept doesn't have the same repositories, but I'll find and add them.
      Installing Firefox was was easy through terminal, thank you.
      I don't understand what you mean by right-clicking on an empty space in the contact list and choosing to hide offline users... all parts of the contact list are occupied by horizantal bars for each user. Where can I set this?

Comment

I don't understand what you mean by right-clicking on an empty space in the contact list and choosing to hide offline users... all parts of the contact list are occupied by horizantal bars for each user. Where can I set this?
        Pull down the Settings menu and select Hide offline users. Here's how it looks for me on Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron with KDE 3.5 and Kopete 0.12.7

(click for larger image)

Assuming you're on Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, I can't walk you through it. I can, however, point you a step by step that should get Firefox on your computer for you.

First, Add Repositories using Adept Package Manager

Second, install Mozilla Firefox

For the second part you'll probably want to be in Konsole, as is explained at the top of the Kubuntuguide page. If you are unfamiliar with Konsole, then please refer to the Commands at Konsole: Beginners thread.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Ah yes, finding an empty space can be tricky if you have a lot of contacts (as contacts have their own context menus).

It can also be set in the Settings menu, as Telengard posted. If you need to switch it on/off regularly, you can add a toolbar button for it by right-clicking on the toolbar and choosing 'Configure toolbars'

Comment

Welcome to the party

Following what kubicle mentioned:
            I use synaptic for GUI package management
            I would advise using that (synaptic) as well because adept isn't very... well adept yet.
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install synaptic
            Then have a look here for flash and other plugins:
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Enjoy
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              I would advise using that (synaptic) as well because adept isn't very... well adept yet.
              Adept has actually served me pretty well in Hardy Heron. Admittedly, I don't know how useful it may be in Intrepid, since I mostly use Hardy.

But let's not drag the thread offtopic. The OP specifically asked about Adept.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
              X