X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10 video problems (blinking)

Hi guys,

I have Intrepid 8.10 KDE 4.2 installed and I have problem with graphics.
    When I play video with vlc player and the video is blinking + in the beginig of playing the video is pixelized.

When I play DreamChess, the content of the windows (the chess) blinks when I move it around.

I tried OpenGL and X, it seems to be better with OpenGL, but blinks anyway.

Thanks for help.

Re: Kubuntu 8.10 video problems (blinking)

I am new at this also. I was getting this nasty flicker myself whenever launching a game. I ended up turning off the Desktop Animations and that fixed the problem for me. There is a walkthrough here in Help the New Guy but you will have to browse through the list. I will find a link to it and post, in case the DT Ani's thing don't work.

Comment

You might start with telling us what sort of graphic card you have and what drivers you use.

Comment

Oh forgot.

The graphic card is ASUS EAH2400 PRO

I solved the blinking with disabling the "windows behaviour", but I would like to have effects in kubuntu....

Comment

You just got 1 extra reason for being excited about the Jaunty J release.

Under Intrepid, ati cards can only do one OpenGL session at a time. JJ includes DRI2, which indirectly fixes the issue. Nvidia drivers work around the issue completely in a way that is not ideal, but functional.

Grab a widget from kde-look.org called "toggle-composting" somethign. It puts a switch on the desktop to switch the effects on/off very efficiently. You will have to compile it from source though.

No idea why VLC+X is klickering though...it doesn't on my side.

The pixelization at the start is probably related to the codec the vid uses. Some codecs do this more than others. e.g. .flv files often flicker.

Comment

if you look in the system setting area for desktop effects you can change there output mode for me Xrender works nice but you get a few other options
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
              if you look in the system setting area for desktop effects you can change there output mode for me Xrender works nice but you get a few other options
              Niiiice. Didn't see the Advanced options before. Switching off vsync fixed the FF tear issue.

Won't be switching to xrender though...it hits my CPU heavily at higher resolutions.

Comment

yea i helped
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                X