X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Issues?

First I'm really sorry if this is posted 9 million times over. I'm new

I can't seem to install my DSL service in Kubuntu 8.10 I run KNETWORK but nothing comes up?. I use PPPEO as I assume most dsl is?. What do I do?.

My second issue:

I know intel drivers are included with Linux but I can't find mine Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV. My monitor is also Unkown...

Thanks

Re: Some Issues?

The easiest one first:

The intel drivers should have been automatically installed and configured, to check run adept and type intel in the search box and you should find the xorg intel package marked as installed. Apart from going into kmenu/system settings/display and altering the monitor settings there is nothing else you need to (or can) do.

So far as your DSL connection is concerned, I would have expected this to have been automatically configured during the installation unless:

1. You have a fixed IP address
    2. You were not connected to the router at the time
    3. Your network card is not supported by the OS.

I would expect the PPPEO protocol to govern the connection between your router and your ISP and not involve your PC at all.

You should see the knetworkmanager icon in the system tray. Right click on it and select wired connection. Do you see anything?

Comment

first one:

I went into display properties all I see is Unknown in a pink box and the modes I get are 640x480 and 800x600 ( I would like 1024x768) at least.

Second One:

No I don't see one: my card is a Intel Pro/100 VM Network connection (also built in). I had a DSL connection in Ubuntu when I was running it and it saw my card.

Can I locate it with a terminal command by chance?

Comment

DSL

You ought to be able to set up a new connection by right-clicking on the knetwork manager icon. I assume you have had the ethernet cable plugged in when you booted? Someone else will probably be along soon with a command you can use to see if it's detected if you can't get any activity at all.

Video

Have you checked in the package manager that the inetl xorg package is installed? If not, you need to install that. Then if you can log out to a command prompt and run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg you might get some mileage.

Comment

I got the DSL to work!. I ran sudo pppoeconf in terminal and set it up. Display I'm still working on thanks for the help though with the DSL.

I just checked package manager and it says they are installed but I cannot use them. Why?? what else can I do?

Comment

That's good news about the DSL!

The only thing I can think of is that you need to reconfigure the X server as I mentioned earlier. Have you tried that?

Comment

Working...
            X